Menu

Reply To: Tips & Tweaks: Lx3, Lx4, Lx5 modes

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Tips & Tweaks: Lx3, Lx4, Lx5 modes Reply To: Tips & Tweaks: Lx3, Lx4, Lx5 modes

BonzoBits
Participant

@deltronik This sounds like the same issue I had with VT60. I referred to it as ‘incorrect scale’ but I think this was wrong. Basically, there are columns of blurred graphics going from top to bottom of the screen.

EDIT: this should be much easier to follow now 🙂
EDIT: There are some new tips and settings in my first post on page 3. Hope this doesn’t confuse the issue.
EDIT: correction re AR settings on TV.

Anyway, the fix:

– Select the correct aspect ratio for your TV. For mine, Lx3 requires 16:9 and Lx4 requires 4:3.
– The VT60 enables changing the colour of the sides bars in 4:3 mode, from black to various shades of grey. This is to prevent image retention, your set might not be prone but my VT60 is highly prone so I set to full grey.
– Load up a game on your console. I’d suggest for your first run, a console which outputs 320 x 240 (IE, not SNES). Pick a game or scene of a game with lots of text on the screen (RPG in-game menu, title screen). Using text makes it easier to tell when all the blurriness has disappeared
– I would go for 4x first, imo it’s nicer looking than 3x. So go to ‘Output options’ and set ‘240p/288p proc’ to ‘Line4x’.
– Next, go to ‘Sampling opt’ > ‘Adv.timing > 320 x 240 optim
– Per Harrumph’s tip, set V.active to 256 and reduce V.backporch until you get a picture
– Now, increase H.samplerate by 1. This should cause the blurry columns to change position and possibly change number. It should also increase the width of the image by a smidge
– Keep increasing by 1 until all the blurriness is gone. This is where the text is handy, as all letters should have sharp and distinct edges.
– Now you can restore the AR by reducing V.active to 240
– You should now be looking at some super crisp graphics in correct AR

A few notes:
– V.active must be at 256 if you want to adjust other tweaker settings. If adjusting H.samplerate, H.synclen, etc with V.active < 256, the TV loses the image and it will only come back once V.active is increased to 256
– You can use the ‘Generic 4:3’ modes, but this has two key differences with ‘Optim’ modes.
– Firstly, it is not zoomed in as much, so for Genesis/MD, you can see a lot more of the overscan area.
– Second, where optim mode has one ‘sweetspot’ for H.samplerate (the point where the blurriness is gone) generic 4:3 gives a clear
image on every third adjustment (EG @ H.samplerate X, X+3, X+6, etc) so you will only find the correct image width via trial and
error
– The same process works for Lx3
– Although I could only get SNES to work in Lx3, when using the 8:7 AR option (new in firmware 0.76) it looks fricken spectacular. I know there are differing opinions about using this ratio, but imo, there’s simply not other way to SNES 🙂 Give it a try and see what you think.

Hope that helps. Once you sort out these steps and lay your eyes on some crisp and colourful graphics with correct AR, I think you’ll be amazed at how good the OSSC is with a panny plasma. I’ve been playing through a lot of different games and am continually impressed how new details and image depth are now apparent. It might just be the jump from Lx2 to Lx3/4, but I think the awesome panny black level, motion handling, colour reproduction, etc push the image quality to spectacular heights.