Menu

Reply To: TV compatibility report thread

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support TV compatibility report thread Reply To: TV compatibility report thread

vmagix
Participant

Samsung UE32K5600 FullHD TV – approx 10ms input lag in game mode with 720p/1080p sources, could only get better if I had purchased a gaming monitor.

* Line 2x/3x mode works out of the box.
* Line 4x works, and looks crisp – but the TV sees it as a widescreen signal. 4:3 need to be manually set within the TVs picture settings. Scanlines don’t seem to scale as well as 3x (720p). Annoyingly it also disables the TVs image zoom/resize options.
* Line 5x compatibility seems to be sporadic, losing the image every few seconds… It’s a no-go for now (have tried a combination of DVI/HDMI TX modes, HDMI inputs and output resolutions).
* All consoles routed through GSCARTSW to the OSSC.

Results for 3x mode (my preferred output at the moment):

* PAL Megadrive 60hz modded – YES. Using a CSYNC cable with the 3.5mm audio breakout. Some noticeable jailbars – but guess that’s to be expected.
* PAL Saturn 60hz modded – YES. Flawless @ 240p. I’m assuming it’s a composite sync cable as it’s PAL.
* Dreamcast via RGB SCART – YES. Bob deinterlace judders every couple of seconds at 50hz (probably a slight timing mismatch with the TV), flawless at 60hz.
* Dreamcast via VGA 480p – YES. Pixel perfect using DTV 480p mode (line doubled) but image does seem a little “squished” horizontally. Setting output to Auto 480p fixes aspect ratio, but scaling issues can appear (like Crazy Taxi “checkerboard” menu having blurred areas) – anyone know how to fix this? Or is it just a “quirk” I need to live with.
* PS2 via RGB SCART – YES. Flawless bob deinterlace/image.
* PS2 via RGsB SCART (Sync on Green) – YES. 480p seems to work perfectly.
* RGB N64 (French NUS-001) – YES. TV doesn’t report resolution, but displays the image perfectly. Probably the most “impressive” display of the OSSC. Even though some games don’t use the full output resolution (introducing their own, undefeatable borders – I’m looking at your Banjo Kazooie) I’ve never seen N64 games look so defined without the HDMI mod and/or VI deblur. Noticed a strange quirk of the RGB modded PAL N64 running NTSC games (using an everdrive) though. Output is 61Hz, and (thankfully) the TV recognises/displays it.
* Wii via RGB SCART – YES. Perfect bob deinterlace at 50hz/60hz, switches perfectly to 240p when NES/SNES emulators are loaded. Haven’t tried it via component/YPbPr yet (it’s mainly used as a NES emulator anyway)

EDIT – for all my consoles (apart from 60hz/480i Wii output) I needed to adjust the V/H backporch setting slightly to centre the image. This was also the case for the Dreamcast at linedoubled DTV 480p. No idea why this is – but it worked fine.

Overall the combination of a low latency TV and the OSSC has been a revelation. Lag was the one deciding factor when choosing this TV, and the OSSC (over something like the Framemeister) simply because I associate older games (platformers/shooters/arcade fighters especially) with how responsive they feel – and instantly pick up on additional frames of unwanted lag. I’m not bothered that the TV doesn’t like 5X mode, 3X looks great to my eyes, and scanlines seem to scale well without looking too sharp or unevenly spaced. Basically I no longer feel sad that I had to give my 30inch Sony Trinitron away (space reasons!).

EDIT 2 – Bought a 1-Chip (01) SNES and a Super Famicom. The 1-Chip SNES is PAL so using a sync-on-luma cable, and the Super Famicom is using a CSYNC cable. The OSSC/TV handles output fine from both, however the resolution/refresh seems to fluctuate during gameplay with the SNES. It doesn’t cause the OSSC/TV to lose sync, but it’s noticeable on the OSSC’s LED panel (flashing between 261/262p etc). The Super Famicom usually locks at between 60.05-60.22Hz on boot and stays that way. Output is cleaner with the SNES (with the Super Famicom exhibiting some mild dithering/jailbar artifacts). The original (I’m assuming it was composite sync) RGB SCART cable that came with the Super Famicom would cause static artifacts, audio buzzing, and the image would lose sync on occasion.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  vmagix.
  • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  vmagix.