Menu

Reply To: Bringing back 480P/i w/o passthrough, issues with Dreamcast and overscan

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Feature Requests Bringing back 480P/i w/o passthrough, issues with Dreamcast and overscan Reply To: Bringing back 480P/i w/o passthrough, issues with Dreamcast and overscan

wryguy87
Participant

So thanks to the input here, I suppose I at least understand the issue with why the Dreamcast image only fits in the screen in 960p. It is in fact an overscan issue, as when I switch to the Wii 480p fits the screen perfectly and 960p there is empty space.

So clearly certain Dreamcast games are making use of the overscan area and the Wii does not. Of course I do see the same issue with the Wii in 480p where the image is distinctly blurry and washed out via the use of passthrough.

Unfortunately I have no way to address it via TV settings, particularly for the Wii because 960p breaks certain settings on my TV such as the ability to customize the screen size. That would at least fix the issue with Wii games not taking up the full screen, though even using passthrough on the Dreamcast I can’t do a thing to get the full image on the screen even with all the normal TV settings.

If the OSSC can’t offer some kind of overscan solution in the future there’s probably no helping it for the Dreamcast.

Switching back and forth between Wii and Dreamcast brings up something else I’d like to suggest.

#4: The option to choose between 4:3 and 16:9 for 480p x1 and x2 (960p) outputs.

Like with about everything I mentioned here, the issue is with switching between the Dreamcast and everything else. The Wii is of course a widescreen console, and because you can choose 16:9 for retro devices like the Genesis and Nintendo 64 that all plays nicely together. But because you can’t choose to optimize for 4:3 for 480p the same way you can for 240p, the Dreamcast image will be stretched.

There could very well be a solution I don’t know of, since that’s already happened once or twice but just trying to contribute to the project.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  wryguy87.