Menu

Reply To: 1920 lines horizontal sampling/output for all inputs + aspect ratio controls

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Feature Requests 1920 lines horizontal sampling/output for all inputs + aspect ratio controls Reply To: 1920 lines horizontal sampling/output for all inputs + aspect ratio controls

Thomago
Participant

marqs: Since typically 75% of an analog scanline contains picture, your effective picture width would then be 0.75*2046 = 1534, which comes close to ideal 4:3 aspect when strected to full 16:9 screen. However, the picture will not be centered with those settings

Just tried that with a 576i signal; I don’t even get a picture that way.

marqs: As for manual adjustments not yielding same results as high res sampling would, I’m not sure what you mean. With upsample2x horizontal values are just duplicated internally in respective modes so there should be no difference.

I managed to produce 1920 horizontal pixel output using both the OSSC’s 480p passthrough (Line2x wouldn’t work) and 576i Line4x + upsampling 2x modes as a basis.
In both cases, the resulting picture was relatively soft (even after extensively tinkering with Video LPF and the Sampling phase); the 480p picture in particular wasn’t looking any better than the original 720×480 output, and that using a game that has a rendering resolution of 512 pixels! See here: [Older post]
At the same time, 1920 pixel output generated via 240p Line5x looks nearly pixel perfect.
So… my manual adjustments didn’t yield the same result as “actual” high res sampling.

paulb_nl: Couldn’t the way the OSSC outputs 960 pixels in a 1280 frame with lineX3 generic 4:3 mode be used to at least be able to output 1440 pixels in a 1920 frame with 480pX2 for example? I would like to see that feature for all 4:3 resolutions.

That’s exactly what I was getting at. No postprocessing/scaling step, just mapping some lower resolution to the middle of a 1920 pixel frame.