Menu

Reply To: New owner, bunch of questions

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support New owner, bunch of questions Reply To: New owner, bunch of questions

SirRockALot
Participant

And here I was hoping the OSSC Mode button did some magical thing I was missing, too bad 😉

The KDL-55X4500 does not have any of the usual problems with 240p content. No treating it like 480i, none of artefacts with the 30Hz flickering transparency, everything in the 240p testsuite looks correct and identical to how it’s through the OSSC. One of the reasons why I kept this TV around for so long is that it has all the right inputs and handles most non-standard resolutions and refresh rates well. I remember being very puzzled when bringing over an older console to a friend’s place and seeing that 240p content would not display or look terrible. It’s also one of the first TVs with FALD, so it doesn’t look as washed out as most LCDs from that time. Too bad about the re-sync speed. You’re probably right that it simply has some extra processing/buffering for the analog inputs and just doesn’t expect that kind of mode change over HDMI. It’s probably quite rare to have an HDMI device other than a gaming scandoubler that requires rapid refresh/resolution changes.

How about the consoles that output at both SD and HD resolutions? Like, is Gran Turismo 4 on the PS2 or Soul Calibur 2 on the original XBOX correct with Rec. 601 in 480i and Rec. 709 in 480p/720p/1080i? Does 480p already count as HD? If it’s really that straightforward maybe there should be an Auto setting.

I tried the backporch and active settings, and they simply seem to crop the image once I set them low enough, more like the mask options. Nothing is actually repositioned. My TV unfortunately does not offer its usual shift/zoom options for ‘PC’ resolutions, so I can’t correct the shift there.

When I checked the Wiki on the Auto setting for the 480p input sampler it said this:

” Auto: “VGA 640×480”-mode is selected when the signal comes from RGBHV input. “DTV 480p”-mode is selected with all other inputs [default] ”

That sounds like it just always uses the ‘VESA’ setting for a VGA-type signal on AV3? That just seemed strange to me since the only console I can think of that natively outputs RGBHV is the DC and that’s DTV.