Menu

Reply To: 1-chip mods required parts

Home Forums Repairs and Mods 1-chip mods required parts Reply To: 1-chip mods required parts

Bananmos
Participant

So my 1chip arrived! It was a console without a power supply, and initially I was quite frustrated when realising that a very slight increase in the AC adapter socket made it incompatible with all my NES/SNES AC adapters… except for the one I bought with my french NES, which plugged in just fine due to being just slightly thicker (works with the usual NES/SNES consoles too, but wiggles a little). This minor difference in the AC adapter pins sure is a curious thing.

Anyway, the picture from the OSSC now looks pretty amazing! It is quite bright, so would benefit from the brightness fix I suppose – but at the moment I’m not too bothered by the brightness, just being impressed with the pixel-perfect 5x image coming out of the OSSC. The colours do have that ugly composite checkerboard patterns – but this should all go away once I replace my cheap RGB cable with a packapunch one.

But given how great the picture already looks with the OSSC, I’ve started wondering whether I actually need the RGB amp, or if I’d be fine just with the SuperCIC mod itself.

Looking at the picture that explain the advantage of the RGB bypass amp, it seems that the main advantage is getting rid of a pixel blur of the 1chip. A blur that looks way less severe than on a 2chip, but is still present.

And I can definitely see how it would improve the picture in the standard 4:3 mode, given that the amount of samples the OSSC takes would likely be capturing part of this lowpass curve between pixels.

But assuming that the 256×240 optim mode is enabled, the signal should be sampled at the centers of the PPU pixels – provided that the sampling phase has been adjusted accordingly, and because the blur is not as severe, perhaps the RGB bypass amp is just overkill if using the OSSC?

I’ve read that the RGB bypass amp should also help with the bright vertical line in the middle of the screen… and I remember this ugly vertical line from my youth when playing the SNES with just an RF cable. But I cannot see it at all from the output of the OSSC when trying it out this one-chip with SMW or any other games… it could be that the composite colour artifacts are hiding it a bit. But even when fading between black and white screens, I cannot observe any bright vertical line no matter how hard I look…

So if I intend to use the SNES with OSSC set to the 256×240 optim mode, is there actually any advantage to the RGB amp that I’ve missed?

Or am I better off just getting a SuperCIC board, and a decent (PAL) sync-on-luma RGB cable?