Menu

Reply To: 1-chip mods required parts

Home Forums Repairs and Mods 1-chip mods required parts Reply To: 1-chip mods required parts

Bananmos
Participant

Careful! If you attach an original PAL region SNES PSU to a Japanese or American console you will fry it, since these PSUs output AC rather than DC.

Yes, I’ve read about the Famicom and SFC not being compatible due to expecting DC. But it is news to me that an american SNES would be problematic too. Are you sure about this? It surprises me, because to my knowledge PAL NES power supplies and PAL SNES power supplies have been interchangeable between my PAL NES and PAL SNES units, and have also worked fine on NTSC NES consoles.

But looking closer,the french adapter (with the slightly different form factor which does fit the 1chip console) does have slightly different ratings:
MODEL NO NES-002ED
INPUT AC 220V 50Hz 17W
OUTPUT AC 9V 1.3A

Whereas my other NES adapters (that I have been using for loads of years with both NTSC and PAL NES consoles, and with my 2chip SNES console) says:
AC ADAPTER: NES-PAL-002
INPUT: AC 220V-230V/50Hz
OUTPUT: 9.8V 1.3A

And finally, an authentic US NES power supply I own (which I’ve never actually plugged in to anything) says:
MODEL NO : NES-002
INPUT AC 120V 60Hz 17W
OUTPUT AC 9V 1.3A

…so assuming there’s no rounding error in the printed specs, I guess the french NES power supply outputs a slightly lower voltage than the standard?

I also found a photo of an official UK SNES power supply. Interestingly, the console-side-plug has the same blue colour that the french power supply with the alternate form factor also has, but is rated at 9V output like my other power supplies:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Official-NES-SNES-Super-Nintendo-Console-UK-Mains-AC-Power-Supply-PSU/202112457157?hash=item2f0ed759c5:g:Gg0AAOSwxixaH–1

I am considering getting an RGB amp just for completion. But I am wondering whether I will actually gain anything from it, and it doesn’t look like a trivial mod. The cheap RGB cable makes my assessment somewhat limited, but I’m not so keen on ordering a proper packapunch cable for PAL, if it is not at all usable if the RGB amp mod is done. Is there any way to adapt the RGB amp to a cable wired for PAL?

Anyway, the 1chip SuperCIC parts still seems to be out-of-stock. Any idea on when they will be available again?

Cheers,
Michel

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Bananmos.