Menu

Reply To: Bad audio quality through SCART from Genesis (using headphone out) – OSSC 1.6

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Bad audio quality through SCART from Genesis (using headphone out) – OSSC 1.6 Reply To: Bad audio quality through SCART from Genesis (using headphone out) – OSSC 1.6

Harrumph
Participant

yes, you can plug in any other audio source to A1 and it gets mixed together with audio coming from SCART and sent over HDMI.

Ah I see, then I was mistaken. So when the switch is in AV1 out mode, it works exactly like before in that there is a direct connection between the SCART audio input and the AV1 out. IIRC, feeding audio input from both directions causes problems because you get incorrect impedance, or something to that effect, (I remember seeing some post about this when people had problems trying to route component source audio via the AV1 jack while concurrently having a SCART cable attached, which is why the switch was implemented).

But the other problem I see is the cable you’re using (I didn’t check the link until today). I had assumed the audio wire from headphone socket connected directly to the SCART head, but it seems it meets up with the DIN connector and then travels up the cable together with all the other wires (I see that retrogamingcables.co.uk also does this so I guess it’s a common solution). This risks introducing coupling noise on the line.

So one solution is to get a cable that is constructed such that the audio lines travel separately all the way up to the SCART head, I am pretty sure this type of MD1 cable is available somewhere.

A potential alternative solution that doesn’t require you to buy a new cable, is to depopulate the audio input pins on the scart head (i.e. desolder the audio wires coming in there), and run the audio separately to AV1 as you have already done.