Menu

Reply To: Bad audio quality through SCART from Genesis (using headphone out) – OSSC 1.6

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Bad audio quality through SCART from Genesis (using headphone out) – OSSC 1.6 Reply To: Bad audio quality through SCART from Genesis (using headphone out) – OSSC 1.6

marqs
Participant

Reading through the thread, it’s hard to find any consistency on which MD1 models are affected and which aren’t:

* There are 3 reports (Ali-Pacha?, Damn-Deal-Done, me) on distortion with VA0-VA2 boards
* Distortion is reported on VA4 and VA5 boards (Zoomer88)
* No distortion is reported on a VA4 unit (SirRockALot)
* Distortion disappears when audio is tapped before power amp (VA?) (esp)

Since that pre-amp gain mod brings VA0-VA2 boards closer to VA3-VA6. it’s surprising to hear some VA3-VA6 have the issue as the mod seemed to get rid of distortion as demonstrated on the clips I linked. I wonder if anyone has experienced distortion via DIN output which would suggest that MD’s CXA1034 headphone amp is the common factor (with 10% THD it’s far from hi-fi for sure)? There are still tweaks that can be done with OSSC v1.6 audio ADC (e.g. doubling of internal sample rate) which might help without any hw modifications, but without knowing the root cause it’s hard to get forward.