Menu

Audio Upgrade Board

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Audio Upgrade Board

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  samson7point1 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

samson7point1
    Participant

I apologize if this was already answered somewhere and I just suck at searching.

As I understand it the audio upgrade board outputs digital audio through the DVI connector, but I don’t understand how to actually output this as HDMI.

Since DVI is a video-only format I didn’t think the HDMI audio channels in a DVI-to-HDMI adapter were actually connected to anything. Do I need to buy a special DVI-to-HDMI cable, or modify the one I have? Or does this somehow just magically work?

borti4938
    Participant

There are no separate audio line / wires in an HDMI cable defined. The audio signal is embedded in between of the video signal. Hence no additional work at the DVI connector is needed. You probably just need a passive DVI-to-HMDI adapter / cable.
    If your input device is able to handle HDMI signaling then it will works. If your receiving device has a legacy DVI-D input it won’t work.

See also here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#DVI_and_HDMI_compatibility
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Compatibility_with_DVI

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

I’d love to know who started these rumours that DVI cables can’t carry audio 🙂 I’ve been doing audio over DVI cables for years on the PC.

samson7point1
    Participant

Well, I can tell you for my part that I didn’t hear a rumor, I just made assumptions. Ever since graduating from coax, every AV connector I’ve used had discrete conductors for audio, I would never have guessed that the audio was “muxed” with the video in HDMI. Thanks so much for dispelling my ignorance and for the links!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.