Menu

Auto sync mode selection

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Feature Requests Auto sync mode selection

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  marqs 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

gruntbuggly
    Participant

In order to play a game in 480p mode on the Playstation 2, for example OutRun 2006, I have to do the following:

1. Start OSSC in 480i mode (#1 on the remote for RGBS)
    2. Start the game, then instruct it to switch to 480p
    3. On the OSSC, switch to 480p (#4 on the remote for RGsB)
    4. In the game, press a button before the time runs out to confirm that it’s working

It would be nice if the OSSC could eliminate the need for step 3 by switching automatically when it sees the RGsB signal on the SCART input. It doesn’t affect gameplay and so it doesn’t need to be quick like switching between 240p and 480i, so anything under 3 seconds should be good.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

I don’t think this is possible to auto detect. As an alternative you could use an extron interface or similar to convert sync on green to RGBS.

gruntbuggly
    Participant

With 480i content (RGBS #1), the OSSC says “NO SYNC” when it’s in RGsB (#4) or YPbPr (#7). Then with 480p content (RGsB #4), the OSSC says “NO SYNC” when it’s in RGBS (#1) mode, but in YPbPr (#7) mode it shows an image but with the wrong colors. I think this is the issue that is impossible to auto detect: how would it choose between RGsB or YPbPr?

But if I could tell the OSSC to exclude YPbPr (#7) from auto sync mode selection, then conceptually it seems like it should be able to switch automatically between RGBS (#1) and RGsB (#4) modes, unless there are underlying technical issues.

marqs
    Participant

It’d be possible to automatically cycle inputs e.g. after 1 sec of sync inactivity. However, the list of cyclable inputs would need to be user-defineable, so that each one of the 9 inputs/modes can be included/excluded separately so that e.g. RGsB and YPbPr don’t get mixed as mentioned. In the end, I’m not sure if the end result would be that helpful taking into account the configuration effort required from user, but I’ll put this into consideration nevertheless. For PS2, the best way to remove this annoyance is to mod it to output RGBs regardless whether it is in HD mode or not.

gruntbuggly
    Participant

For PS2, the best way to remove this annoyance is to mod it to output RGBs regardless whether it is in HD mode or not.

I’ve ordered the retrogamingcables.co.uk SCART cable with csync for PS1/PS2/PS3 and will report back with the results in a few weeks.

gruntbuggly
    Participant

So the SCART cable wired for CSYNC using a built in sync separator circuit had no effect compared to the sync-on-luma cable. The OSSC still needs to be in RGBS mode when the PS2 outputs 480i and RGsB mode when it outputs 480p.

marqs
    Participant

The console itself needs to be modded for that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.