Menu

Best place to buy SCART cables

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Best place to buy SCART cables

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  AetherSmyth 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

B3n77
    Participant

Hi All

Just pre-ordered my OSSC 1.6 so I guess I’ll be needing some RGB SCART cables. Can anyone recommend where to buy some decent quality cables from.

Cheers

Harrumph
    Participant

EU:
    retrogamingcables.co.uk
    US:
    http://stores.ebay.com/retroaccessories/

Being in the EU, I never ordered anything from retro_console_accessories, but the name has been mentioned a lot as a trusted, competent seller who can do a lot of custom jobs.

rebrove
    Participant

I’ve used cables from both retrogamingcables.co.uk and http://stores.ebay.com/retroaccessories/ and I’d personally recommend retro_console_accessories work.

Both manufacturers supply an extremely clean signal without any of that SCART buzz I hear people worry about, but I give the build quality edge to retro_console_accessories. The boot on my PAL Gamecube’s SCART I received from retrogamingcables.co.uk started degrading where the cable connects to it rather rapidly, and it’s not like I’ve moved it around to plug and unplug it even a dozen times since getting it, but I’ve used my SNES cable from retro_console_accessories on my SNES and N64 with repeated plugging/unplugging and it’s still fresh.

B3n77
    Participant

Great, thanks for the suggestions. CSYNC would be the best version to get I guess? I watched a few YouTube videos that suggest it has the best video quality and it looks to be compatible with the OSSC.

AetherSmyth
    Participant

Csync is preferred when available, but there are some consoles (PSX, PS2, 1CHIP-03 SNES, some N64s depending on the RGB mod) that only output luma sync, which I don’t believe makes any appreciable difference in picture quality. The main thing is to avoid sync-on-composite, which is the one that can really result in artifacting.

Note that stores will offer Csync cables for consoles not supporting Csync, which means there’s an added sync stripper inside the cable. The OSSC supports all three sync types, so there’s no benefit to these over the regular ones passing the original sync signal from the console.

For my part, I’ve gotten all my cables from retrogamingcables.co.uk (funnily enough, for a Canadian it actually ends up being cheaper to get them from the UK than the US), and I haven’t seen any of the issues rebrove mentioned.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.