Menu

Can I use a 3.5mm Input For Audio With RGB?

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Can I use a 3.5mm Input For Audio With RGB?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nmalinoski 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

jamesjones2
    Participant

Hi. I have a newer OSSC. MY PS2 has a terrible audio buzz. Apparently this is a common issue with the PS2 and not the fault of the OSSC at all. I bought a cheap optical toslink to 3.5mm converter and plan on using RGB SCART for video and one of the two 3.5mm jacks for audio. Is this possible? Thanks.

nmalinoski
    Participant

First, what kind of AV cable are you currently using with your PS2?

Second, neither of the OSSC’s 3.5mm jacks can accept audio for AV1. The jack next to AV3 is audio input for AV3 only; and the jack next to the HDMI output serves as either input for AV2 or as a breakout for audio received through AV1 (togglable with a switch).

If you’re looking at getting a SCART cable, I would hold off on the digital audio stuff until you’re sure you need it; chances are, if you buy a decent SCART cable, like those from Retro-Access or Retro Gaming Cables, simply having a properly-shielded cable will eliminate your audio buzz problem. If it doesn’t, and you really want to stick with RGB over SCART, then I would recommend simply routing the digital audio around the OSSC–either run TOSLINK directly into a compatible home theater receiver, or use a TOSLINK to RCA or 3.5mm adapter to connect it to your TV.

Personally, I would forego RGB in favor of YPbPr, because it gets me progressive scan support without the sync-on-Green BS, and there’s no real difference in picture quality with a decent cable (like the official Sony ones).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.