Menu

Component Cable solution for Original Xbox (in Europe)

Home Forums General gaming Component Cable solution for Original Xbox (in Europe)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  nmalinoski 4 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

HE1NZ
    Participant

Is it possible for VGP to produce XOSVP or component cables made of 360 components parts?

I’ve spent months looking for something decent for Xbox without paying crazy prices for shipping from the US (for cables that might die of old age anyway). One guy in UK sold be a refurbished cable made from 360 component parts and Xbox composite output plug on eBay, but the cable arrived with sound channel broken, so I returned it, but only managed to get a refund after eBay intervened – a shady seller kept ignoring me. So I keep looking for something similar that works.

nmalinoski
    Participant

If you’re okay with getting YPbPr over SCART instead of RCA, you can get this cable from Retro Gaming Cables in the UK; or, if you have a need for digital audio via TOSLINK, up your budget and pick up one of the HD AV packs on eBay.

Is there any reason why you specifically want a Frankensteined cable?

HE1NZ
    Participant

I don’t have SCART on my tv. I don’t really need Frankenstein cable, but I just don’t want to order from US. It’ll cost up to $150 which is too much for me. If there’s a HD AV pack selling in Europe somewhere I’d buy it.

nmalinoski
    Participant

I found several HD AV Packs with reasonable shipping on ebay.co.uk, though you will likely need to provide your own RCA<->RCA cables.

HE1NZ
    Participant

Can you link me any finds? I can only see cheap $5 chinese cables that I already have – they are awful.

I found this though:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Xbox-Component-Cable-with-Digital-Audio/143285718469?hash=item215c7e8dc5:g:0e4AAOSwAb1czBJY
    Might try ordering it.

This is the one that scammed me:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Xbox-Component-AV-Cable-Fully-Shielded-UK-Stock/163721233098?hash=item261e8bc2ca:g:-2cAAOSwwjhcxdho

nmalinoski
    Participant

My mistake; the ones I saw are from the US and Canada.

If you give that 20-pound Frankenstein cable a try, do report back with your results.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Put your name down for one of these https://blog.dtho.mp/2018/12/15/xosvp-intro/

BlueStinger
    Participant

I use to sell those “frankenstein cables” on Ebay, no one ever complained and I’ve tested them all with my OSSC. If done correctly, the quality is identical to a legit Xbox YPbPr cable. If you still need one, hit me up on Twitter @vvJerome, I haven’t done one of these for a while, it’d be a pleasure.

HE1NZ
    Participant

Thanks for the offer, but I’ve just managed to get one of these. Took me several attempts though – one came faulty and I had to return it. Two sellers tried to scam me. But I got one nonetheless. Finally a clean audio.

BlueStinger
    Participant

Wow, those guys were my competitors and I decided to let them run the show and focus on other stuff, if I knew their cables were so dreadful I would have made sure there was at least always one cable available in my store.

Jarrah White
    Participant

You’re using a PAL Xbox? In that case, you might be better off using RGB SCART. The only real advantage to using YPbPr over RGB is purely an NTSC thing. Many NTSC games offer 480p, 720p and even 1080i options over component. However, this ability was disabled on PAL consoles. You can restore support for these resolutions with softmods, however if you are using PAL games this may be detrimental.

I had my Xbox softmodded once and I regretted it. The PAL Xbox games I had could only do 480p. At the time I was recording Xbox content directly with the component input on my Elgato HD, which deinterlaced the gameplay feed from 576i to 576p. Playing the games in 480p meant my recordings were lower res. And if that weren’t bad enough, they actually looked worse in 480p. They looked extremely compressed and literally rough around the edges with more pronounced aliasing.

I purchased an Retro Gaming Cables RGB SCART cable for the Xbox years ago and it looked leaps and bounds better than YPbPr component directly fed into the Elgato Game Capture HD.

HE1NZ
    Participant

I use PAL Xbox, but it’s softmodded to run any resolution. 480p is definitely looks very sharp on my machine. 480i on the other hand looks greyer and softer (even PS2 480i produces sharper image). I think there are several version of Xbox motherboards that produce slighty different image and mine (version 1.5) is possibly to blame for poor 480i output. Looking at your video (menus only, you can’t compare prerendered video) my 480p output is definitely at least as good as your SCART and 480i looks closer to your 480p.

By the way, I don’t believe PAL output of 576i actually means it produces higher resolution than 480i/p. I think for a vast majority of games internal resolution is the same in both regions, but console scales it to 576i with additional lines being blank (resulting in black bars) and some games are slowed down too. That is unless some games were specifically reprogrammed for PAL region (maybe Deus Ex is one of those, but doubt it).

You should try NTSC games on your machine. I never play PAL games on my retro consoles.

nmalinoski
    Participant

I think the logic was that 576i deinterlaced is higher-resolution (but lower framerate) and allegedly looks better than native 480p. If it’s actually an issue, I think it’s per-game, because I’ve never had any visual quality issues playing the Dancing Stage games in 480p via YPbPr on an NTSC console (Specifically a v1.0).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.