Menu

Considering OSSC for Xbox

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Considering OSSC for Xbox

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  SirRockALot 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

ignign0kt
    Participant

So I use an Xbox to play Halo 1 and am looking for the lowest possible lag solution to convert to HDMI. However Halo 1 runs at 480i. My 4K TV’s input lag is only ~15ms however I believe that’s only if the source is 1080p or 4K, I’m guessing it’s higher with lesser input resolutions.
    Can the OSSC turn 480i into 1080p? Might there be any issues doing this, or might that make more issues with display compatibility than usual?

James-F
    Participant

480i is supported on most displays especially with a latter 480i console like Xbox and PS2, which have accurate 59.94/60 refresh rate.
    480i also has ‘passthrough’ mode which sends a digitized 480i signal with standard timing through the HDMI just like a DVD player would.
    It’s the former 240p generations that some TVs have compatibility issues with in Line3x,4x,5x modes, but Line2x usually works on all TVs unless the 240p console has some non standard refresh rate like 60.08Hz (snes).

ignign0kt
    Participant

Well, assuming compatibility, my worry is the input lag from my TV. If the source going into my TV isn’t 1080p, I believe it will cause more lag than it would if it were 1080p. Is 480i to 1080p something the OSSC can do? I want my TV doing the least about of scaling possible, and avoid deinterlacing

James-F
    Participant

480i in Line2x mode will output 480p from the HDMI, while in passthrough 480i.
    There is also a Line4x for 480i which will send a 960p in a non standard PC resolution.
    So NO, there is no option to scale 480i to 1080p, the OSSC is a line doubler and does exactly that.

ignign0kt
    Participant

Bummer, thanks!
    I thought maybe it might since I noticed it can do 5x

Gummi
    Participant

It does 3-5x only for 240p sources. 480p is 2x only.
    Halo actually does support 480p just like almost every single XBOX game. However the PAL XBOX is locked to 480i in the OS for everything, but you can enable the NTSC video modes (480p, 720p and 1080i) with a softmod.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

It’s actually rare that scaling adds any input lag, most TVs have the same lag regardless of 480p,720p or 1080p. There are exceptions, but it’s not all that common. The main exception to this is, of course, interlace resolutions which often add 1-3 frames or more of lag onto your TVs base time.

I would definitely mod your Xbox to output 480p, interlace should be avoided on HDTVs wherever possible, that’s true if you’re using OSSC or any other scaler (or direct to TV). Particularly with OSSC you have to put up with some flicker if you want lag free deinterlacing.

ignign0kt
    Participant

My Xbox is modded with a chip, however google is really sparse with information on modding Halo to do 480p. Apparently its xbe file needs to be hex edited but I can’t actually find what part of the file needs to be changed.
    Plus I don’t use the retail game, I use a modded version of the game called NHE. So that might make it more difficult.
    If anyone knows please let me know :). But I guess I’ll need to figure that that out before I get an OSSC.
    Thanks

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

I’m sure I just installed it and it ran in 480p, as long as your dash is set to that. You need component cables too, of course.

SirRockALot
    Participant

Like others said, nearly all XBox games support 480p, Halo is listed as 480p compatible as well. Even PAL retail games can do it. It’s just your system that disables that resolution. You need to set your video region to NTSC. Xbox softmods have improved quite a bit in recent years. Before there was a somewhat arcane procedure which required worrying about virtual EEPROMs and whatnot, but on my recent softmod it’s just a menu option from the custom dash. No hex editing required. I don’t know about your modchip install, but I’m sure a dashboard with the required BIOS setting tweaker already integrated is available to you. Quite a few games even do 720p/1080i.

nmalinoski
    Participant

Even PAL retail games can do it. It’s just your system that disables that resolution.

I don’t have experience with PAL Xboxes; assuming a component cable or breakout box is used (I don’t think it will put 480p on a SCART cable), do they not have the Video settings menu in ms-dash that lets you enable 480p, 720p, and 1080i resolutions?

SirRockALot
    Participant

Component cables (including the monster ones) were never officially sold in Europe and PAL XBox firmware does not support anything higher than 576i. PS2 component cables were not officially sold in Europe either and PAL versions of games like Gran Turismo 4 have 480p/1080i modes removed. The PAL hardware is perfectly capable of higher video modes and all you need is either a different BIOS (xbox) or NTSC games + soft / hard region mod (PS2). As a rule of thumb, just don’t buy PAL consoles & games or be prepared to mod them to (hopefully) bring them up to spec 😉

nmalinoski
    Participant

Yeah, it looks looks like a mod is the way to go. After a cursory Googling, it looks like it’s possible to change the region on PAL Xboxes to NTSC with a softmod exploit and Enigmah’s Video Select program; you lose the ability to output 576i and PAL60, but you gain 480p, 720p, and 1080i, and the few PAL games I’ve played on my NTSC Xbox had no issues running in these modes.

SirRockALot
    Participant

I guess it takes only a few seconds to change the video BIOS back to PAL if you encounter any incompatibilities. I haven’t really looked into playing games from the HDD or from different regions since I have basically all the OG xbox games I care about as original discs. I haven’t encountered any issues with my PAL collection and a PAL xbox softmodded and set to the NTSC video region. 480p or better seems to work on everything.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.