Menu

CPS3 Questions

Home Forums CPS2 digital AV interface CPS3 Questions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  marqs 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

GeeDead
    Participant

Hello! After a little muddling through the registration process, I’m hoping to ask a few question about specifically the CPS3 installation:

*made a few edits*

– For the BCK, I’m using a coax cable, but it still cuts out all of the sound completely (at least from the stereo-out for a separate crt setup) when connected. I’m using an RG174, since that’s what RGB had mentioned using in his CPS2 installation. Should I try a different Coax for CPS3, or should this cable be fine?

– *(Edit: Flashed the file anyway for safety. Still unsure if it was required).* A few people already asked/explained here that the boards come pre-flashed for CPS2, but is this also true for CPS3? The end of the installation guide on github explains that I need to flash an extra file for the CPS3 specific installation, but I want to make sure that’s still true.

*Edit: added question
    – Is the switch on the guide required for image adjustment/resolution switching? I’ve read that the CPS2 supports resolution switching via the volume buttons, but I passed on snagging the TL2243 when I ordered the DAV since digikey was out of stock at the time; strangely enough. There’s a very small amount of cutoff from the top and bottom of the screen with how its displaying now. Is that switch the missing link, or there another way to adjust the image without it?

imgur for top/bottom screen cutoff

Thank you in advance!

marqs
    Participant

For the BCK, I’m using a coax cable, but it still cuts out all of the sound completely (at least from the stereo-out for a separate crt setup) when connected. I’m using an RG174, since that’s what RGB had mentioned using in his CPS2 installation. Should I try a different Coax for CPS3, or should this cable be fine?

How long are the I2S wires in your installation? You might need to use coax for WS and DATA lines as well if they end up picking noise due to their length or placement.

The end of the installation guide on github explains that I need to flash an extra file for the CPS3 specific installation, but I want to make sure that’s still true.

Yes, the CPS2 firmware won’t work on a CPS3.

– Is the switch on the guide required for image adjustment/resolution switching? I’ve read that the CPS2 supports resolution switching via the volume buttons, but I passed on snagging the TL2243 when I ordered the DAV since digikey was out of stock at the time; strangely enough. There’s a very small amount of cutoff from the top and bottom of the screen with how its displaying now. Is that switch the missing link, or there another way to adjust the image without it?

You need TL2243 or 2 external buttons to control the board. At the moment you can change vertical offset and toggle scanlines, but once OSD is in place, there’ll be other options as well (e.g. output resolution select).

GeeDead
    Participant

The wires I previously had installed for ws and data only ran far enough to go from the Jamma edge to the SIMMS, so not dangerously long (or atleast I would hope). I’m going back and forth taking advice from both you and some members on Arcade Projects who have installed this board, but I’m still not having much luck on audio. I was told I could source the same bck ws and data from the dac below RN2 on legs 4-6, so I tried using those lines combined with using the same RG174 coax that I used for Clock…still no luck.

bck seems to be much better from the dac, since the slight static I’ve picked up through the crt before is gone when grounded, but still no luck with WS or DAT it seems.

A few days ago, the issue was that I could see the data rise and fall for audio in OBS when hooked up to my capture card, but I couldnt hear anything (a problem with bck). Then, after switching to a larger coax, I got audio running perfectly. I unsoldered and made a cleaner, more manageable connection with the larger coax, and I haven’t been able to get visual audio data on my capture card or sound through another TV since then. I have a secondary crt that I’m using on my work bench to test as I go and compare to the hdmi, and everything still works fine there, just no luck with the DAV board to the capture card. I’ve checked for bridges, I’ve checked for any cut traces, I’ve gotten advice on AP to try re-flashing the firmware and I’ve re-flashed cps2_digiav.jic twice…other than just further shortening my coax cuts and trying the coax on the original RN3 positions instead of at the dac, I feel like I’m kind of running out of options.

marqs
    Participant

Where do you tap supply (+5V and GND) for the board and with how long wires? Perhaps there’s a significant amount of noise between the ground points from where you tap I2S audio shield(s) and supply GND so it might make sense to sense to try a different point for the latter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.