Menu

Dreamcast Dithering through VGA

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Dreamcast Dithering through VGA

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  BubbaMc 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Wilco
    Participant

Hi.

I’m getting a strong dithering and checkerbox pattern across my screen when I use my Dreamcast witg my VGA box through the OSSC. When I plug the VGA box straight into the TV, however, I get a completely clean image. I have tried and tested with the same results on two televisions and two different VGA cables. Has anyone else come across this issue? Could It be that The OSSC doesn’t like the signal from my VGA box.

Cheers.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Wilco.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Never noticed anything like that here, and Dreamcast VGA boxes should all be the same. Are you using the recommended settings for Dreamcast VGA as per the wiki?

Wilco
    Participant

Yeah, I’m using DTV in 480, but it still looks bad.

This is a picture of the image straight through into my TV.
    https://imgur.com/ZZsRZqZ

And this one is when it passes through the OSSC.
    https://imgur.com/tw7VLLV

The image is not only darker in the second picture but the dithering and checkerbox effect is dramatically increased. It’s also apparent when capturing the image via an Elgato HD60.

Any ideas?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Wilco.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Hmm, that is strange I wonder if this is what happened to Adam Koralik’s Dreamcast (only other person to complain about poor video quality with OSSC and Dreamcast so far).

Did you try the other fixes i.e changing H.active to 640 in the advanced timing menu and ajusting H.backporch to centre image?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  BuckoA51.

Wilco
    Participant

Yeah I have also tried that but still, nothing makes it better. I saw Adam’s review and wondered whether this may be the same problem. What do you suggest I do? As the Dreamcast was a big reason for me getting this.

Cheers.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

You say you have tried two different VGA cables, was that the full cable and box or just a cable.

Admittedly I’m clutching at straws here, really puzzled.

Wilco
    Participant

Yeah me too. It was two separate VGA cables both tested with the same VGA box. It’s super weird as everybody else has raved about the Dreamcast image being incredible. I hope I’m not missing something super obvious. Would it be worth sending the unit back for testing?

paulb_nl
    Participant

This appears to be a case of dithering being revealed by the clearer picture of the OSSC. The Dreamcast connected directly to your TV looks much blurrier than the OSSC.

If you search on Google for ‘Dreamcast dithering’ you will find lots of results with people noticing the dithering even on RGB scart.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

I can spot the dithering on some screens on my Dreamcast now I’m looking for it. It definitely only affects certain screens though, for instance there’s no dithering on the polygons on Crazy Taxi

BubbaMc
    Participant

Agreed with paulb_nl, if you look closely it seems the dithering is present when hooked directly to the TV, to OSSC just reveals this.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.