Menu

DVI+Audio to HDMI and audio. Also, upgrades?

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support DVI+Audio to HDMI and audio. Also, upgrades?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  hyne 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

ShootTheCore
    Participant

I have a preassembled OSCC on the way, and now I need to figure out the ideal way to patch it into the TV. I plan on dropping it in where the Framemeister is right now, which means I need to adapt over to HDMI.

Does anyone have specific recommendations on a DVI+RCA->HDMI box? I’m looking at this one from Monoprice currently-it looks identical to the StarTech unit Amazon sells, but at half the price.
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?pg_no2=2&c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011405&p_id=8124&sortby=1&period=&rating=&seq=1&format=4#feedback

Also, I understand that HDMI video is possible with the DIY kits, and I understand digital audio might also happen sometime. Can either/both of those be added on to the preassembled OSCC by a proficient modder?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

That Monoprice one looks suspiciously like the one we reviewed here:-

Lindy DVI-D & Audio to HDMI Converter review

What do you mean by HDMI video? This is already output with just a simple passive adapter. Audio can theoretically be added later but the add on is still very much work in progress.

ShootTheCore
    Participant

Yep, I do agree that the Monoprice unit looks similar to the Lindy, and the StarTech unit Amazon sells looks just like the other two. I would not be surprised if all three are the same units with different branding. Are there any alternatives out there worth considering?

On the HDMI output, I had forgotten that the DIY HDMI output was video only. I’d read that before, but it slipped my mind. It would be ideal to one day be able to plug in a direct HDMI cable and get clean digital video and audio without going through any adapters or converters. I understand that may never happen, but I’ll cross my fingers and hope for it anyway.

I know an HDMI integrators license has been the deal-breaker in including HDMI so far. Please understand that I’m not trying to be a troll here or stir up drama, but I’m genuinely curious what the creators of the HDMI NES, N64, and GameCube internal mods did in that regard. Are they paying for the expensive license and trying to make it back in the cost of the mods? Or is the license not necessary since these are all internal add-in mods to existing consoles rather than a seperate, complete unit like the OSCC?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

I think honestly they just took the chance that they wouldn’t get sued. Reading the letter of the HDMI agreement thing I believe you could argue it doesn’t apply to those mods because they’re not a finished consumer product, but then technically if you ever sold it on you’d need a HDMI license yourself.. or maybe the modder does…I don’t know.

ShootTheCore
    Participant

Just wanted to follow-up to let folks know that the Monoprice integrator I talked about above is unsuitable for the OSSC. The audio randomly cuts out repeatedly.

Bummed that I missed out on the digital audio upgrade trial run. Looking forward to when it’ll be widely available. In the meantime, if anyone knows of an integrator that works well, please share. It sounds like the Lindy unit has audio issues as well.

hyne
    Participant

In my OSSC setup, I use an analogue RCA switchbox with 3 inputs (1 for SCART, 1 for Component and 1 for VGA) that outputs audio to my Panasonic plasma’s audio in socket.

In the TV’s menu, I then tell it to use the analogue audio input in conjunction with the digital video on HDMI input #1. Works beautifully!

Link to switchbox: Profitec TC 6 Audio Umschaltpult https://www.amazon.de/dp/B000NZM9F6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.x3nybSS7JZS6

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.