Menu

Firmware 0.79

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Firmware 0.79

This topic contains 21 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  andychristian 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

marqs
    Participant

Firmware 0.79 is out with following new additions:

* Reverse LPF setting
    * DIY latency tester feature

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Sneaked that one out Marqs 🙂 For those of you wondering, reverse LPF helps remove the blurriness from the SNES multi-chip consoles in particular.

Download link – https://www.niksula.hut.fi/~mhiienka/ossc/fw/

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  BuckoA51.

Galdelico
    Participant

Hey guys, thanks for the constant updates.

For someone who doesn’t own an SNES (and doesn’t really need the latency tester, atm), is it still worth updating? I feel like at this point I’m just waiting for the ‘fully adjustable scanlines’ feature – to see if it can improve in any way how they look on my 1080p monitor – and hopefully that ‘Horizontal mask’ bug fix too, so I’m not sure I want to wipe out all my profiles, if the new FW isn’t gonna change anything relevant to my retro setup.

Thanks again! ^_-

paulb_nl
    Participant

Awesome, thanks Marqs!

For best results with SNES de-blur use reverse LPF in 256×240 optimized mode.

@marqs For the latency tester, is it ok to connect unused pins from the VGA connector to the BTN1 terminals so the light sensor can be connected through the VGA port? So that the sensor cable can be removed when not in use.

andychristian
    Participant

Just tried out the reverse LPF setting on my regular old multi-chip Super Famicom and the results are amazing! Now much more on par with the kinda picture it get from my Mega Drive. Who needs a 1Chip eh?

Tested on Line3x mode at 256×240 optimised – I found 9 to be the sweet spot for me removes all noticeable signs of bleed

Thanks @marqs!

haloharry
    Participant

I have tried it, I think it looks worse, it just seem to replace the black pixels on the right to White.

Harrumph
    Participant

I assume this will be variable for each SNES because of different degrees of smear (variation in chip quality, other components, age etc). It didn’t work too great on mine either, not enough to make optimized mode useable anyway (going above 3 creates inverse (too light) pixels). It does slightly improve the situation in generic mode though, for me.

ptepid
    Participant

Thanks for this! The reverse LPF has greatly improved my 2-chip SNES image in optimised mode. I initially had the issue with bright pixels when using too much reverse LPF. I found I needed to make the following tweaks:
    Video LPF: Off
    Analog sync LPF: 10Mhz
    Analog sync Vth: 45mV

I’m guessing that these settings effectively move the horizontal sampling offset slightly in optimised mode. It’s enough that Reverse LPF setting of 3 can eliminate the effect almost completely, for my SNES at least.

andychristian
    Participant

Here’s a before and after shot using the settings mentioned above. Really happy with the results!

BeforeAfter

paulb_nl
    Participant

You shouldn’t need to change Analog sync options. You can get sync drop outs if you do. Setting reverse LPF to 3-4 and tweaking the sample phase should do it.

ptepid
    Participant

Looks like you’re right paulb_nl, I was able to achieve the same effect with the default Sync LPF/Vth settings with only two changes.
    Video LPF: Off
    Sampling phase: 56 deg (was at 90 before)

It looks like the video LPF makes the blur worse on my end, no amount of sampling phase tweaking would give me clean edges with that enabled.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  ptepid.

Harrumph
    Participant

Right, I tried another SNES I have, and results are much better. As ptepid points out, default LPF kind of pulls in the wrong direction, but I found with LPF off there were too much noise and speckles, but the 35MHz (HDTV I) hit the sweet spot.
    Really liking it now! 🙂

marqs
    Participant

@paulb_nl You may utilize unused VGA pins, assuming your VGA sources do not drive any signals into them.

haloharry
    Participant

Thx for the info, am in joying the set up.

andychristian
    Participant

Has anyone experienced any audio issues with the latest firmware? Since applying the update I’m getting no audio output at all with my 1.6 connected via Scart to HDMI to my TV.

EDIT:

Never mind! Genius here installed the wrong firmware version! Working now since using the -aud one!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.