Menu

Full vs Limited RGB Range on TV

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Full vs Limited RGB Range on TV

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SirRockALot 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

SirRockALot
    Participant

I’ve seen the OSSC advertised as outputting full-range RGB, but does that mean one should set their TV to Full RGB range as well? From what I understand, all older consoles, SDTV signals, NTSC/PAL signals etc. are limited range. I find my SNES and MD for instance look better when the TV is set to limited range. Blacks are properly black on the MD and the SNES has more vibrant colors and white is proper white. For others like the Saturn or the Original Xbox I did a quick check and I think they look better with the TV set to full range.

What’s the textbook correct setting here? šŸ˜‰

paulb_nl
    Participant

The correct setting is Full RGB because thats what the OSSC outputs. Otherwise the brightest and darkest colors shades are crushed together.

If the white on your SNES is not white enough with Full RGB then I recommend increasing the gain on the OSSC. Preferably with the gray ramp of the 240p test suite.

SirRockALot
    Participant

Makes sense, thanks!

The bias/gain controls on the OSSC are extremely handy yo have. I have an earlier model AES that’s way too dark and needs a gain ~200 to look right. I tried with the 240p testsuite on my 1-CHIP-02, blacks are perfect, looks great at a gain ~50. The MD certainly needs some bias adjustment for proper blacks. I’ll be busy making profiles for most of my consoles šŸ˜‰

paulb_nl
    Participant

Is your 1-CHIP-02 modded? I ask because the few 1-CHIP-02 I have seen were too bright at default gain.

SirRockALot
    Participant

It is. I think most 1-CHIPs are too bright by default.

I have 11 systems hooked up to the OSSC at the moment and nearly all are a little too dark by default. The AES I got is an extreme case, but for all the others you couldn’t even tell unless you do a direct A/B comparison. But it’s reasonably obvious when you come from something like a PS3 and the immediately switch over to the SNES. Then you can just notice that some of those logo-on-white-background type screens are just not quite as bright as the TV gets with a HDMI console and proper 255,255,255 white. For now I bumped the gain a little bit on my default profile and quite severely for the AES, looks really good.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.