Menu

Getting the OSSC PCB printed

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – DIY Kit support Getting the OSSC PCB printed

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  rhapsody 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

nesqc
    Participant

After successfully assembling a DIY OSSC, I’m looking into getting a couple of OSSC v1.6 PCBs printed. I frequently use OSHPark so I was looking into getting it made there. The DIY board I got last summer from VGP was purple, so I have a hunch it was printed there. When I upload the PCB to OSHPark there is a warning about possible incompatibility. My best guess is the slotted holes for the component video connector is raising a flag.

Does anyone have experience getting the PCB printed? Any tips? Thanks!

Morpheus_79
    Participant

Some PCB manufacturer (including OSHPark) indeed seem to have problems with accepting (producing???) slotted holes. But there’s a modified (“OSHPark-friendly”) 1.6 PCB layout available from ‘borti4938’ (the creator of the audio-addon board for the OSSC 1.5… and lots of other modding stuff):

https://github.com/borti4938/ossc_pcb

Even though the VGP PCBs are purple, i don’t necessarily think those are produced by OSHPark… since their problems with slotted holes… and since lots of other manufacturers offer PCBs with them same purple color for the solder mask (just not as only/default color like OSHPark).

nesqc
    Participant

Thanks for the tip! I have a couple of other mods from borti, and I didn’t notice this repo!

Does anyone have experience with a reputable manufacturer that supports slotted hole drilling?

nesqc
    Participant

For the sake of posterity, I will follow up with myself. I was going through the commits on the marqs’ repo for the ossc_pcb and it seems as though this issue was already addressed earlier this year by user dwhinham and merged back into the master branch by marqs. OSHpark might still be raising flags only to ensure the user has really checked that compatibility is done right for their process.

Morpheus_79
    Participant

Thanks for this nice piece of information. I only used the modified PCB layout from ‘borti4938’ a couple of months ago and chose EasyEDA as manufacturer. I had to use the modified layout, since the original layout by ‘marqs’ (at this time) wasn’t accepted by EasyEDA and i’ve read that OSHPark had its problems with it too. So it’s good to know, that the current available PCB layout at the GitHub of ‘marqs’ will be accepted by OSHPark (and maybe other manufacturers too).

d0pefish
    Participant

Yes, ‘dwhinham’ is actually me 🙂

I got all my boards done at OSH Park successfully after those changes, so marqs was kind enough to merge them.
    You should have no problem ordering them.

If you wanted to skip the board upload stage altogether, you can just use this project link:
    https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/0IAKkJB7

Sorry I didn’t see this thread earlier.

CoraDias
    Participant

Hi..i think you need not to do that. Anyway, the main parts of the system are video digitizer IC, FPGA and HDMI transmitter IC. My first prototype is a PCB with input video connectors and the video digitizer IC. The PCB is connected to a FPGA development board, which contains logic for video processing and scandoubling, and a HDMI transmitter daughter card for video output.

hdi pcb

rhapsody
    Participant

This is somewhat off topic but I figured it would fit here so I don’t have to start a new thread. I’m unable to open the .svg case files in inkscape and the laser cutting website I try to upload them to can’t process them either.

marqs
    Participant

No issues here, check the file integrity:

md5sum P2_Inkscape_multi_optimized.svg 
    0f67cadefc7d0cc756153ff27956d5bf

rhapsody
    Participant

Ah think I figured it out must be an issue with chrome have to save it after opening in the browser can’t just save the link in the git repository. Thanks for responding Marqs and for all your work on the ossc! Also is there a paypal link or a way to donate to you or the ossc project directly without ordering the basic kit off vgp?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.