Menu

Hissing Sound Genesis 1 SCART Cable

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Hissing Sound Genesis 1 SCART Cable

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  slickrasta 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

slickrasta
    Participant

So when I start games on my Genesis 1 there’s a hissing / buzzing sound then it seems to get better (or is getting drowned out by the ingame music) then when I pause the game the same hissing comes through my sound bar. I’m 95% sure it’s the audio jack on the front of the Genesis 1 just starting to go so I’ll need to do the genesis 1 audio mod to resolve it. Is there any chance it’s the SCART cable itself or is it definitely the headphone jack just starting to go? The genesis 1 SCART cable was one I paid $30 off eBay from an American supplier a few years ago.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Yes could certainly be a badly shielded SCART cable.

slickrasta
    Participant

Jiggling the cord got rid of it so I’m pretty sure it’s the headphone jack now. There’s a minor “jiggling” of image on certain parts of the screen (varies location) like on Sonic 2 I paused the game and looked close as the Score / Time in the top left was distorted and when I looked up closer it was bouncing the image back and forth ever so slightly in the one spot, everything else on the screen looks clean with none of thise jiggling, found a few examples of this but it always seems to be in just one spot on the screen. Is this also more likely a badly shielded SCART cable or am I correct in thinking capacitors may be the root problem so replacing them may resolve the picture jiggling?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

If it was Sonic 2 in one of the 2-player levels that’s because it’s interlace video rather than 240p.

slickrasta
    Participant

Ah cool it is on single player Sonic 2 I saw that with. Turns out the hissing didn’t go away just was less noticeable from moving the jack. I googled it and it turns out the person who sold this Genesis 1 sold it with an SA-160A power supply that’s for Mega Drive 1’s and has different specs. IFixit has a thread where people report the wrong power supply will cause the buzzing. So I’ll get a proper power supply soon to see if that resolves it, if not I’ll do the audio mod on my Genesis and I’m pretty sure that will do the trick. Cheers!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  slickrasta.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.