Menu

How to Update Firmware using a Mac!

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support How to Update Firmware using a Mac!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  JDH 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

JDH
    Participant

**Check out punk machine’s recommendation here:https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/how-to-update-firmware-using-a-mac/#post-13621 before proceeding with this post**

Oh wow, tons of Windows users I see, but I have had success using this guide. For all us Mac users, you are no longer stuck using old firmware! I am no Terminal guru or anything, so anyone can do this. If you are using the OSSC, you will be successful to follow this guide 😉

Using this with 0.77 firmware and a generic eBay Sandisk 2GB MicroSD Card. Good luck!

https://www.udoo.org/docs/Getting_Started/Create_A_Bootable_MicroSD_card_for_UDOO_QUAD-DUAL.html

Don’t worry about it not being an .img file, it will work the same using the standard .bin

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Thanks for the tip!

arovane
    Participant

Sorry but this doesn’t work. I succesfully updated firmware 0.73 some months ago (NOT using this technique though), but with 0.76 it doesn’t work, even though I’m using you’re technique. It always end up by the OSSC stating “invalid disk image”. Can someone please find an easy way for us mac user to update firmware?? I don’t like the idea of spending hours each month to install new updates. Thanks.

arovane
    Participant

Or, I get “invalid argument” in the Terminal when trying to write disc image from bin on SD card. I get an error also with using the dd software. Nothing works so far.

arovane
    Participant

OK it finally worked. The technique shown above is partly correct, but if you write in Terminal rdisk2 (or whatever number you have) it will not work. You have to put disk2, without the r. So something like this: sudo dd bs=1m if=/Users/nameofuser/Downloads/ossc_0.76.bin of=/dev/disk2
    for some reason rdisk didn’t work with 0.76, which led me to multiple try and fail before I found the way to make it work.

punkmachine
    Participant

punkmachine
    Participant

I found an easier (and working!) alternative. Download a program called Etcher and use that to flash your sd card. You have to rename the file extension from .bin to .img otherwise it won’t work. Worked on the first try for me 🙂

JDH
    Participant

Thanks for updating the link punkmachine. I updated OP, and let people know to check out your post as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.