Menu

InfoFrame content

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Feature Requests InfoFrame content

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Harrumph 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Harrumph
    Participant

Due to my recent interest in video timings (damn you Lx4 & Lx5 🙂 ), I’ve been eyeing through the CEA 861 E spec sheet (HDMI 1.4).

As an aside, I looked a bit in the InfoFrame section and noticed the Source Product Description, there is a byte that can be set to determine source type, such as PC or Game Console. It got me thinking if this could help those TVs (4k Samsung model) that has been reported to not be able to recognize OSSC as a PC source?

Then perhaps there could be three TX modes: HDMI, HDMI-PC, DVI. What do you think?

There’s also the AVI InfoFrame where things such as content type (eg Graphics or Game, which then indicates to TV to do minimal scaling/enhancement) or aspect ratio can be specified.

virsago
    Participant

As the owner of one of “those TVs” (the Samsung 4K to be specific), I would love this. All of my other consoles can use my TV’s PC Mode, but for some reason the OSSC just can’t access it. I’m not sure if it would even help, but it’s the only thing I can think of that would allow my TV to accept something other than 240p passthrough. Nothing else seems to work.

marqs
    Participant

At least in the past displays typically ignored most non-essential Infoframe parameters. Maybe they more “smart” these days, though. I’d guess setting “IT content” flag, and possibly Source Product Description could help if some TVs limit their processing options based on Infoframe data.

virsago
    Participant

If it’s something you want to test out before going ahead and fully implementing it into an official FW update, I’d be glad to help.

marqs
    Participant

Yeah, that should be tested with a couple sets. Regarding “IT content”, I’ve seen some contradictory information. According to CEA specs, setting the bit should tell displays not to apply excessive video processing to the signal. However, reading some comments comments from Intel HD graphics users, it may have negative/opposite effects on some sets. Either the driver has the option wrong way around, or it gets misinterpreted by certain displays.

Harrumph
    Participant

Hmm, well could depend on what type of IT content is set maybe? It seemed unclear to me if this problem was due to the video driver itself, like you also pointed out.
    Either way, this obviously needs to be tested by a couple users (we seem to have some volunteers here). 🙂

Thanks for your reply!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.