Menu

Interference on the component input?

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Interference on the component input?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  rebrove 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

coderkind
    Participant

Hi,

rather than double post, I’ll link to what I posted over on the shmups forum a little earlier: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50851&p=1272354#p1272354

See first post by “coderkind” (page 49).

In a nutshell however, I was finding issues when I had a component switcher plugged into the OSSC but not switched to that particular channel (wavy image on SCART, discoloured image on SCART). When I disconnected the component switcher the issues on the active SCART channel went away.

I would’ve thought the OSSC would totally ignore all non-active/selected channels (or perhaps it does, but my unit is displaying an issue)? So if I’m switched to SCART input and that’s what I’m seeing, I wouldn’t have thought anything potentially coming from the component or VGA connectors would/should cause any issues? That’s seemingly what I’ve experienced however.

Any thoughts welcome, as it looks like I either have to buy a different component switcher, or have component connections totally disconnected when playing SCART consoles.

paulb_nl
    Participant

Does the same thing happen when you connect an active component source directly to the component input?

coderkind
    Participant

Not sure; debugging the problem was literally the last thing I figured out before going to sleep last night. Will try things with an active component connection tonight/tomorrow and follow-up on this.

rebrove
    Participant

You don’t happen to be mixing formats (NTSC/PAL) for your sources, do you? I had a similar enough issue with the wavy/discouloured image where the culprit was my PAL Gamecube being a part of an otherwise fully NTSC setup. I know there are a lot of folks that swear that you can use a US power supply on a European Gamecube without any interference, but I had to splice a US plug on the European power supply because the 60Hz power and the 50Hz output was creating a visible issue on everything that passed through the OSSC (SCART/Component/VGA).

It might not be the case for you, but I didn’t have any issues after adapting the 50Hz power brick.

paulb_nl
    Participant

@rebrove Is it not possible that your US power supply went bad? I used a euro power supply on an NTSC gamecube today without issues.

Did you only exchange the plug on the European power supply? Mine is rated for 230 volts only.

marqs
    Participant

Yeah, it sounds more like a bad PSU.

The original issue is probably caused by ground loop(s) – is the component switcher passive or active btw?

rebrove
    Participant

@paulb_nl It’s possible that it was a bad supply as it was an aftermarket unit, but the wavy image came with a darker horizontal band like you see when recording a CRT with a video camera where the refresh rates don’t sync.

But yeah, all I did was steal the plug off the US power supply and used it as a replacement for the plug on the European power supply that I’d received when I bought my GameCube.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.