Menu

Invalid Firmware Image?

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Invalid Firmware Image?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  awe444 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Fnnrqwin
    Participant

Hi,

I’m attempting to update from 0.73 to 0.75 using a Sandisk 2GB MicroSD card. I’ve followed the Wiki’s instructions, and am using Win32DiskImager, which I’ve used in the past with no problems. Anyway, I have a pre-built system, so I’m not sure why it would give me this error. I’ve tried updating to 0.74 instead to see if it was a problem with the .bin, but they doesn’t work either.

Harrumph
    Participant

Have you formatted to FAT32 first?
    Have you checked the card is properly inserted in the OSSC?
    Are you getting any error message?

marqs
    Participant

Formatting beforehand does not make difference as Win32DiskImager overwrites partition table. “Invalid image” message on character LCD means that first 4 bytes read raw from a detected SD card do not match the firmware image. Usually that means that there’s been an error writing the image to card, but in theory it could be caused by a hardware issue too. I’d first test writing the image via another computer before considering other options (jtag update / return).

awe444
    Participant

I also encountered “Invalid Image” under the exact same conditions the original post had (same SD card brand, same firmware version, WinDisk32Imager, etc.) Tried re-flashing the FW image onto the card multiple times and still got the error. Finally I just tried selecting the “Fw. update” menu option over and over again without touching anything, and after about 7 or 8 failed attempts it finally accepted the image and completed the update successfully.

Looking at the OSSC’s source code (/software/sys_controller/ossc/firmware.c) I see there’s a variable FW_UPDATE_RETRIES which is set to 3. Was the value of 3 chosen because failed reads were anticipated? If so, could setting it to a higher value make the updates proceed with a higher success rate?

Mythic
    Participant

^ Was exactly how I got mine to work. I just kept hitting update then it worked.

marqs
    Participant

FW_UPDATE_RETRIES only controls how many retries update procedure is given if verification fails (e.g. some bits are not correctly written to flash) – increasing it does not help on card detection. Problems in detection are most likely caused by Altera’s less-than-stellar SD card controller which was replaced with a more compatible one in fw 0.74.

Fnnrqwin
    Participant

I could have sworn I had responded to this, but just constantly retrying eventually worked. Thank you!

awe444
    Participant

Updating from 0.75 to 0.76 worked on the first attempt without any problems at all. So either I was very lucky this time, or the updated SD card controller (from 0.74) has indeed fixed the issue encountered previously when updating from 0.73 to 0.75.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.