Menu

My confusion over Dreamcast

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support My confusion over Dreamcast

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  BuckoA51 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Luislooper
    Participant

Hello!

I ordered an OSSC recently, should be coming soon. I have a way to hook up all the console I want, GC, Wii, Xbox, PS2. The Dreamcast has me a little confused though, mainly because of the information I am seeing around whether or not I should buy a VGA Box to hook up to my OSSC, which sounds redundant.

SO, what is the easiest way to hook up a Dreamcast to the OSSC? Do I buy a DC to VGA cable? (I heard some of those are awful) OR do I need a VGA Box ALONG with the OSSC?

paulb_nl
    Participant

Its probably easier to use a VGA box because then you can switch between 480i and 480p for games that don’t support 480p without changing the cable. A VGA box should also output a better quality signal.

Luislooper
    Participant

The OSSC doesn’t have some option for switching between 15 and 31hz? I also heard the VGA option on the OSSC is as useful as whole VGA Box.

paulb_nl
    Participant

Of course the OSSC supports both 15 and 31khz. The VGA cable only supports 480p games. Thats why the VGA boxes have a switch for 15/31Khz. It seems most DC VGA cables have bad reviews. The only thing redundant about the VGA box is the scanline generator but not all boxes have that.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Correct, to take full advantage of the OSSC you need a VGA box with a 15khz/31khz toggle switch. You can either buy a box with this built in (e.g Toro) or on some VGA boxes you can mod them and add in this functionality.

Sega never included it in the original VGA box because monitors/TVs that accept both 15khz and 31khz via VGA are exceptionally rare.

Luislooper
    Participant

Would a Kuro be a good idea? It does have a switch for the 15/31. The OSSC should provided the rest of the features the Toro offers, I believe.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Kuro should work fine, yes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.