Menu

N64 Blurry Noise

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support N64 Blurry Noise

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  eric90000 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

eric90000
    Participant

Hey,

I’ve just installed Voultars RGB bypass board into my N64 (NTSC console, recently had power supply and mainboard capacitors replaced).

It works fine with the OSSC using RetroGamingCables Packapunch fully shielded SNES cable.

However, the picture genuinely looks like RF quality (using OSSC in Lx5 1080p mode). There’s this horrible shimmering blurriness all over the screen, especially noticeable in 3D games like 007 the world is not enough. It’s like there’s a crap load of interference on the image. Is this normal?? I don’t have a huge amount of experience with the N64 so I’m not sure. I’ve tested the same cable/setup with other consoles and this isn’t present. So it must be a problem specific to my N64.

Here’s a quick video I took, the blurriness looks a good bit worse in person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLEKwZKeLdY

If anyone has an RGB modded N64 and that 007 game, does yours look the same? I’d be eternally grateful if you could test it and see if you get the same noise in the image.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  eric90000.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Did you try different low-pass filter settings? Video in proc->Video LPF?

eric90000
    Participant

Yeah I sure did Matt, that was the first thing I tried…doesn’t seem to make a difference in this case. I’m starting to think it’s just a side effect of using the N64 in RGB line quintupled to 1080p?! I’m starting to think it’s the blur or AA built into these consoles.

It could also be that I’m using it on a pretty big 4K TV, and that video was shot quite close to the screen. Maybe it’s normal? Just struck me as looking awful, as every single other console looks fantastic and clean on the OSSC.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

I haven’t really used my N64 much with the OSSC as I’m lucky enough to have the dedicated HDMI mod for the console. I’ll give it a go and see what I can see.

eric90000
    Participant

That’d be cool Matt, no rush on that though. I’m more so just curious to see if it’s supposed to be like that! Thanks for the help 🙂

megari
    Participant

That definitely does not look normal to me. There are very pronounced pixel glitches in the picture that go beyond just simple noise.

eric90000
    Participant

Yeah it’s a strange one….any idea what would cause that? I recapped the whole console + power supply with top quality panasonic & nichicon caps.

It’s hardly the game cart itself? Only other cart I have is south park, and it doesnt really display any of that I dont think.

eric90000
    Participant

@megari I don’t suppose you have an RGB N64, that game, and an OSSC in Lx5 mode you could test it on? 😀

megari
    Participant

@eric90000 I do have an RGB N64 (*), an Everdrive 64 and an OSSC, but I don’t think the TV here supports OSSC’s Linex5 mode, unfortunately. 🙁

(*) French PAL model with the RGB circuit populated, also UltraHDMI modded.

eric90000
    Participant

Ah no worries! Do you see that shimmery crap on yours when you run that game no? I have no idea why mine looks like that, I don’t even know whats it meant to look like :/

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  eric90000.

megari
    Participant

Also, does the game require or use the memory expansion pak? I have one installed, which for some games affects the resolution and textures.

megari
    Participant

I can try running that game through the UltraHDMI to see what kind of a picture the game is supposed to output when the analog path is completely bypassed. Would that help?

eric90000
    Participant

Oh shit that’s a very good point, I just checked and it says this:

“The World Is Not Enough”
    Memory Pak required? NO, but provides enhanced graphics and visual effects.

I don’t have one to test just yet! But it’s worth a shot.

P.S. if you don’t mind testing that, it’d be absolutely fantastic! Thank you very much

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  eric90000.

megari
    Participant

Or I could try the OSSC with Linex2, which I know does work on that TV, but I’ll have to dig for an RGB SCART cable as I’ve lately only played the N64 using the HDMI output.

megari
    Participant

What region/version is your game? Just asking so I will be testing using the same version.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.