Menu

N64 Issues

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support N64 Issues

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Reckez 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Reckez
    Participant

So, usually I would search the Internet and Forums to collect my answers but this time I couldnt get any. OSSC is working great but somehow my N64 has some issues with it. I just got it modded with the Tim Worthington Board, so its connected via RGB Scart. Its a PAL Model and all my N64 Games are PAL Versions. My TV is a Samsung KS8000 4K. Here are my questions.

1. I´m using the N64 with the X3 Mode, 320×240 optimization and some backporch adjustments. For my RGB Scart connection I´m using a retrogamingcables CSYNC cable. As soon as I boot up the game the Screen goes black every few seconds. The Fade-Out lasts for about 1-2 seconds before the image comes back. The longer I play the less frequent the Fade-Outs becomce, but they are still a distraction. I dont have any Blackouts while using 2x Mode or when I´m using my SNES Sync on Luma Cable. Oddly another cheap RGB Scart cable that was laying around also gets rid of the Fade-Outs. But all of these workarounds are not an option for me because of the inferior image quality. I also tried to play around with the sampling and sync options with no success.

2. In all my games I have some weird texture glitches, where certain pixel blocks just pop out with wrong colors. I attached some photos. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this?

Pic 1

Pic 2

3. I want to get a pixel perfect Aspect Ratio for my PAL Games. I thought that the X3, 320×240 optimization mode would be perfect for that, but I still have the impression that some shapes that should be square look a bit squished. Oddly if I switch to 256×240 Optimiziation Mode, Games are way to stretched and pixels look rectangular, but certain Objects (like blocks in Paper Mario) now look square. This makes me a bit confused. Is there a definite correct setting?

Thanks in advance and have some great holidays.

paulb_nl
    Participant

1. Can you share a link to the exact RGB cable that you are using? There are a lot of different csync cables. On the N64RGB board, are J1,J2, J3 open or closed and is CS75 or CS# used? Its probably a mismatch between cable and csync output.

2. The strange colors has something to do with the wires for the digital lines. Look here: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1266455#p1266455

Reckez
    Participant

1. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nintendo/n64/N64-RGB-SCART-CABLE-COMPOSITE-SYNC-CSYNC

2. I didnt really find an answer in that thread but thats probably because I have no clue about these technical aspects. Is there something I can do about that Strange Color issue?

paulb_nl
    Participant

That cable is not suitable for your console. Its for NTSC consoles and has a sync stripper inside which converts composite video to csync. Its important to know how the N64RGB is configured. If you can’t open up the console then ask your modder about the J1-J3 jumpers and if CS75 or CS# is connected and to which pin on the multi-out.

The post that I linked to said he used shorter wires for the digital lines and removed the fine pitch adapter and that solved the color problem so the RGB mod would have to be redone.

3. Maybe some PAL games use the full 288 lines in which case you need to set V.active to 288 via the Advanced timing tweaker.

Reckez
    Participant

1. Since there are only 3 cable options for the N64 on “retrogamingcables” is the Sync On Luma a better/more compatible choice? I will ask the Modder about those specific details.

2. If the Mod has to be redone to fix these issues then this is kind of bad news. I´m definitely not capable to do that on my own, which means I have to send it in again. Seems like the HDMI Mod is a much more reliable option.

3. Unfortunately I dont get any signal when I increase v.active to 288, no matter which X3 mode I use.

Thanks so much for your fast response. Much appreciated.

nmalinoski
    Participant

1. Since there are only 3 cable options for the N64 on “retrogamingcables” is the Sync On Luma a better/more compatible choice? I will ask the Modder about those specific details.

The manual for Tim Worthington’s N64RGB board states:

The board supports both (PAL) Super Nintendo RGB SCART and Gamecube RGB SCART cables.

With that in mind, RGC’s regular GameCube SCART cable is probably what you’re looking for. The OSSC can get sync from CVBS or luma, so there shouldn’t be any need for a cable with a sync stripper.

Reckez
    Participant

1. I tried using the SNES PAL Sync on Luma cable for my N64. It definitely gets rid of the Sync Black Outs, but the Image is way to dark. Any clue why that is? I also tried to use the GameCube PAL Csync cable, but there i Got the same Sync issues.

paulb_nl
    Participant

The image being too dark with your PAL SNES cable means the N64RGB board is set to NTSC output. If your modder closes the J1-J3 jumpers then you can just use your PAL SNES luma sync cable.

If the J1-J3 jumpers will be kept open then a Gamecube cable with composite video as sync will work but you will get diagonal lines in your image if you don’t order the shielded packapunch cable. Another option is to ask the seller to change the regular Gamecube cable to luma sync. This is all with the assumption that composite video and luma on your N64 were not changed to composite sync by your modder since we don’t know that yet.

3. You have to decrease V.backporch to 15 if you increase V.active to 288.

IMO your modder should fix the color issue free of charge. It seems that he didn’t check the N64 before sending it back?

Reckez
    Participant

1/2. It was stated that that the N64 was tested after Modification was done. Since those Pixel Color and Cable Issues arent that apparent if you boot up a game for a few seconds it was probably overlooked. I will get into contact with the Modder and will ask about those technical specifications you stated. Updates follow as soon as there is an answer.

3. Still a black screen even with v.backporch down to 15. Maybe my Samsung is a bit picky when it comes to resolutions.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.