Menu

Newbie here with a couple of questions!

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Newbie here with a couple of questions!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  michaelsft 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

michaelsft
    Participant

HI all, glad to be a part of the community and received my OSSC today to accompany my rgbs modded NES and Atari2600 consoles. I am not particularly technically minded so I was hoping that someone may be able to help me a little with some questions as I’m a little confused.

I pressed the linemult mode button and chose number 5 and it worked so that means it’s outputting 1080p right? It nearly fills the screen and in general it looks lovely. I’ve found the menu settings slightly confusing – just left the LPF on Auto and it seems to do the best job as far as noise is concerned but there appears to be some noise coming through on backgrounds with a fixed colours – almost like diagonal lines that are faint in the background and I feel like they shouldn’t be there. I turned my HDMI input on my TV to game mode (no noticeable lag for me!) and turned off every other useless setting and overall I am really happy but I feel it could be tweaked a little – my confusion comes in the form of the other options which just seem to mess with the colour so I’ve left them as they were really. Are these the settings that can help eliminate the lines I’m seeing? If it because it’s a 4k TV outputting 1080p?

Now I expected the overscan when playing games, I did read about that but I wondered if the image could stretched or manipulated in some way to get rid of the boarders on the sides that obviously weren’t meant to be seen?

My other question is on the display is says 312p – shouldn’t it be 240p? The resolution thing also confuses me. Basically I am rubbish and I don’t know anything!

x5 Looking good! Ignore the blurry moving koopa troopa’s, they look fine normally!
    TV

Hard to see the lines I talked about but look at the top right of the image, the yellow bit and you may see some darker diagonal streaks instead of just the one colour throughout – if you can see them, can they be smoothed out so to speak?
    Lines

Display
    Display

nmalinoski
    Participant

For starters, most information will be on the OSSC’s wiki page here: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC. If you want to know what a setting does, you can read about it there; and, if it doesn’t make sense or is too technical, you can just leave it at its default value.

I pressed the linemult mode button and chose number 5 and it worked so that means it’s outputting 1080p right?

The default for this is 1920×1080 progressive, so yes (unless you’ve mucked with this setting). The Line5x format setting can also be set to 1600×1200 or 1920×1200 for 4:3 and 16:10 displays respectively.

I’ve found the menu settings slightly confusing – just left the LPF on Auto and it seems to do the best job as far as noise is concerned but there appears to be some noise coming through on backgrounds with a fixed colours – almost like diagonal lines that are faint in the background and I feel like they shouldn’t be there. I turned my HDMI input on my TV to game mode (no noticeable lag for me!) and turned off every other useless setting and overall I am really happy but I feel it could be tweaked a little – my confusion comes in the form of the other options which just seem to mess with the colour so I’ve left them as they were really. Are these the settings that can help eliminate the lines I’m seeing? If it because it’s a 4k TV outputting 1080p?

Are these diagonal lines static, or do they move?

Someone more knowledgeable can chime in, but video noise like that is typically from poorly-shielded cables or noisy/crap power supplies. If I remember correctly, SCART cables for the SNES and GameCube use composite video for sync, and a poorly-shielded CVBS line can interfere with the RGB lines. Poorly-shielded audio lines can also cause and receive interference (audio buzz).

While it’s possible your TV’s upscaler is causing the diagonal interference, I think you can either confirm or eliminate the TV as a problem if you can try your SNES+OSSC on a different TV.

Now I expected the overscan when playing games, I did read about that but I wondered if the image could stretched or manipulated in some way to get rid of the boarders on the sides that obviously weren’t meant to be seen?

The OSSC is incapable of stretching or any real manipulation of the image; however, the OSSC can add a horizontal and/or vertical mask of up to 63 pixels. This mask basically just blacks out the configured number of pixels from the left/right sides and/or the top/bottom. Do note that this will effectively letterbox the image on your display, and, if that’s a problem for you, you would need to use either your TV’s zoom function or another video processor.

My other question is on the display is says 312p – shouldn’t it be 240p? The resolution thing also confuses me. Basically I am rubbish and I don’t know anything!

This still throws off people now and again, and I periodically forget about it myself. The OSSC displays the total number of lines in the frame, but not all of these are visible (some are used to encode metadata). Interlaced NTSC frames have 525 lines, of which 480 are visible; and interlaced PAL frames have 625 lines, of which 576 are visible. Halve that for non-interlaced, and the OSSC will display 262p for NTSC (240p) and 312p for PAL (288p?).

Hard to see the lines I talked about but look at the top right of the image, the yellow bit and you may see some darker diagonal streaks instead of just the one colour throughout – if you can see them, can they be smoothed out so to speak?

You can try playing with the Video LPF setting in ‘Video in proc’, but Auto should be correct.

michaelsft
    Participant

Thanks very much for the reply! Just one note, it’s an RGBS modded NES, not a SNES so some of those issues shouldn’t be relevant here I don’t think? The scart I have comes from David at Oldskoolconsoles and I’m told it’s a great one with good shielding but I guess you never know. The PSU is generic but again it came from him – this might have more to do with it maybe. The lines aren’t hugely noticeable I just feel like it should be better – I’ll try and play around with a few settings though I can’t find them for some reason. If I press menu and get: Video LPF I can scroll through those settings but I can’t access anything else sampling, sync, output, post-proc etc – I feel like I’ve hit every button but that’s all I see. No doubt it’s easy but the guides don’t seem to go into ‘stupid person’ detail so any tips?

That aside thanks so much for taking the time to reply and in great detail, I really appreciate it!

nmalinoski
    Participant

I know you already know some of this, but please bear with me.

When you hit Menu on the remote, the screen should first show the ‘Video in proc’ category. From here, you would use the up and down directional buttons to select a category, then enter it with the OK button. As with the categories, you would use up and down to select a setting, and then you would use the left and right buttons to reconfigure that setting. Pressing the Exit button will get you back out to the categories list, and pressing the Menu button will exit the menu regardless of where you are in the navigation.

michaelsft
    Participant

Ahhhhh, no that helped a LOT! Thanks! Got the horizontal mask and the overscan is now gone which is awesome as in 5x everything looks great 🙂 I’ll save this profile and then try tweaking things a little more to see if I can improve things a bit – when I put scan lines on you can’t really tell but I’m not sure how I feel about scan lines. I know some people love them…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.