Menu

Original Xbox Component Cables

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Original Xbox Component Cables

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  SirRockALot 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

andychristian
    Participant

Got myself an original Xbox and looking to get it hooked up via my OSSC. Can anyone recommend a good set of cables to get? There’s a tonne on ebay/Amazon but a bit sceptical of their quality.

Any advice would greatly appreciated!

nmalinoski
    Participant

Several years back, I just went with any component cable I could find (just stay away from Tomee). I ended up getting a used one from a second-hand gaming store, and it worked fine.

Much more recently, though, I’ve gone with the official component AV dongle and cables, because I wanted to have optical audio. (Plus, first-party peripherals are usually best.)

SirRockALot
    Participant

My experience with PS2/Xbox component cables of the no-name variety on eBay/Amazon has been universally bad. Official 1st party cables or the ones from Monster are a safe bet. They’ll be quite expensive, though. For some reason RGC / RCA does not make component cables for PS2/Xbox. I guess the HD Retrovision guys might consider making one for Xbox once their PS2 component cables are out.

nmalinoski
    Participant

The no-name component cable I have seems to work just fine; of course, I don’t know what brand it is.

That said, RGC in the UK does make Xbox SCART cables; you may want to try getting in touch with them, as they may be willing to build you a component cable (or perhaps build them generally).

SirRockALot
    Participant

Never understood why they don’t do it. They figured out the hard part, the proprietary plug on the console side. I assume most people would want to connect their Xbox over component, so why offer a SCART RGB cable but not a component one…

nmalinoski
    Participant

Because some people really like their RGB, I guess. RGB is at least arguable for the PS2, but, for the Xbox, I’m not sure/convinced that it will support progressive resolutions via RGBS, as SCART generally doesn’t support anything other than SD, so YPbPr makes the most sense to me.

SirRockALot
    Participant

I was curious and did some reading, apparently a softmodded Xbox can output RGsB and with a small cable mod you can output YPbPr over SCART. The OSSC should support both. Might be good alternative to component then.

eric90000
    Participant

If you can source a genuine XBOX 360 component cable (thick grey wires, usually pretty easy to find and cheap too) you can make your own high quality original XBOX component cable….all you need to do is cut the connector off and solder on the XBOX one.

I did it a good while back and it’s been working great ever since….I’ve had really bad luck with those cheap Chinese cables on eBay.

Here’s the video I followed for making the cable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8jFJjoIO8s

nmalinoski
    Participant

Here’s the video I followed for making the cable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8jFJjoIO8s

Neat! Would’ve been more interesting if he had, instead of just creating a hot-glue mess, reassembled the shielding on the Xbox AV connector and encapsulated it in the Xbox 360 cable sheath, so that the TOSLINK board could be used.

SirRockALot
    Participant

Yeah, I’d never feel comfortable with that hot glue mess sitting behind my console. What’s the point of soldering the 360 cable to the Xbox connector, though? Especially if you’re just going to wire it up for stereo. To me it would make much more sense to simply use the original composite + L/R cable for YPbPr and then buy one of those 2.50$ pass-through adapters with an optical out.

eric90000
    Participant

I actually tried to use the original connector shield but it was an awkward fit…I ended up using some hot glue but it’s only to give the connector a shape, if you did all the soldering correctly there’s no issue with it. Using it into a gcompsw which runs into the OSSC and works flawlessly.

I’ve wondered about the optical audio out on the original Microsoft breakout box…has anyone compared the analogue stereo with it?

nmalinoski
    Participant

I didn’t do any technical comparison, but I noticed a distinct lack of audio hiss after enabling digital audio in the MS dash and disabling audio on my OSSC (I only need to do this to get my receiver to fall back to optical audio); and my receiver had its Dolby Surround icon lit up, so there’s that. 🙂

SirRockALot
    Participant

The Xbox has full support (including in-game) for Dolby Digital 5.1, so analog stereo is quite the downgrade. But for like 2-3 bucks you can get a little interposer adapter with an optical out. And then you didn’t really need the 5-wire 360 cable in the first place.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.