Menu

OSSC 1.6 Playstation 1 issue!!! please help!!!

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC 1.6 Playstation 1 issue!!! please help!!!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  eric90000 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

MCLiLBas
    Participant

Hello,

I have received my OSSC 1.6, and I am happy with it! However, I have an issue with Playstation 1, For example, When I play Silent Hill 1, whenever I open the map or go to the inventory, the screen goes black, sound disappears and the OSSC 1.6 blinks red for 3-4 seconds then back to normal, screen comes back again with sound. It is basically like if you’re changing the input of a TV as an example!

I am using a Csync PS1 Scart Cable from retrogamingcables

On a PC Monitor ( Asus ) I have tried all x2 x3 x4 x5, the same thing happens!

Help please! it’s annoying!

darkstrider2
    Participant

I believe Silent Hill is one of those games like Chrono Cross, 480i menu/maps, and 240p gameplay.

OSSC is handling a switch in video signal. So this is actually normal for upscalers, same thing happens with the Framemeister, but I believe Framemeister takes longer to do 240p->480i transitions and back.

MCLiLBas
    Participant

Thank you for your explanation! But I have a cheap upscaler that doesn’t have this issue when playing Silent Hill at all! Why is that? Any idea?

Is there a fix to this issue to work with the OSSC 1.6 without this annoying transition?

Appreciate the help!!!

Harrumph
    Participant

The cheap upscaler probably frameconverts every input type to a standard framerate (as well as interpreting 240p input as 480i from the beginning), so the display does not drop image.

3-4 seconds sounds unusually long though, in my experience OSSC resyncs between interlaced and progressive modes should not take more than half a second or so. The main culprit of delay is more likely your screen.

It could be that transitions take less time if you have your 240p mode and 480i mode set to the same output, ie. Lx2 240p to 480p and bob-deinterlace 480i to 480p. However, the framerate still changes slightly so your display will still drop the picture for a moment.

MCLiLBas
    Participant

Thank you guys!!!

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Yeah those cheap upscalers convert to 59.94, this causes stuttering/juddering in motion. Still, you might prefer that to screen blanking, some of those cheap scalers have HDMI input too, so you could try that.

eric90000
    Participant

What is the current best way to deal with the 240p > 480i transition dropout? Only thing I can think of is use a CRT 🙁

darkstrider2
    Participant

Best way? Perhaps for PS1 classics, probably straight up PS1 emulation via PS3. Not bad price to pay if you only pay for PS1 Classics that have this issue (e.g: Chrono Chross, Silent Hill).

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

That is the only way to deal with it 100%, sadly.

eric90000
    Participant

Ahh yes, I never really considered playing the offending titles on the PS3….I have the luxury of a PSIO you see, and the PS1 looks amaze on the OSSC. I might just use PS3! thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.