Menu

OSSC and ABT Scalers (VP30,50,Edge)

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC and ABT Scalers (VP30,50,Edge)

This topic contains 33 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  BuckoA51 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

In this thread you can discuss using the OSSC in combination with ABTs mid and high end scalers, such as the VP30, VP50, VP50 Pro and DVDO Edge/iScan Duo.

Here are our findings when using the unit with the VP50 Pro:-

https://www.videogameperfection.com/2016/06/06/ultimate-gaming-upscaler/

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

480p Line double mode seems to be incompatible on the VP50 Pro. Will test DVDO Edge later. 480i Passthrough works great with VP50 Pro however.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

480P Line x2 mode – This works on the DVDO edge but NOT the VP50 Pro. Scaling on the Edge is.. kind of “meh” with this signal. On the checkerboard test in 240p test suite we can see a lot of faults for instance:-

IMG_1164

Here are some other pictures I quickly took.

IMG_1165

IMG_1166

h1ghju1ce
    Participant

Has anyone tested the OSSC x2/x3 480p double modes on an VP30 ?

I didnt want to go through the testing if someone has already tried it 🙂

James
    Participant

Hi guys,
    Got a DVDO edge on its way from eBay. Am I right in thinking it can combine the audio from the OSSC into its HDMI output?

Also any tips on its use, I’m mostly using 50hz PAL content hence the EDGE rather than a VP50.

Thanks!

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Sorry missed your post until now, yes the Edge can combine audio from OSSC and video into the same HDMI signal no problem. Edge also works with Pal linetriple, though we’d still recommend 60hz consoles wherever possible.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Line x4 and Line X5 modes – Line x4 is confirmed working on the DVDO Edge green, not working on the 50 Pro.

Line X5 does not work on the 50 pro, may have issues on the Edge Green. It’s reported by other users to work on the VP50 though.

Picture quality is very good on the Edge Green using either mode.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Update – Line X5 mode DOES work on the 50 Pro.

For best results, use these settings in the OSSCs advanced timing options:-

H. Samplerate 2057
    H. Backporch 255

if you don’t change these settings you may get artefacts in the image.

Line x5 in 1080p mode will crop part of the image, that’s unavoidable.

Maxie
    Participant

Has the OSSC been tested with the iscan HD/HD+ ?
    While I’d rather get the vp50 it seems very hard to come by at a decent price.

hyne
    Participant

I also recently got hold of a DVDO Edge.

Has anyone tried feeding it with Line X5 yet?

Does Line X4 work with both PAL & NTSC sources on the EDGE?

James
    Participant

I have an edge and get tearing with line X5 and it won’t accept x4 at all. Only tried it briefly though with a PAL md and haven’t put any effort into trouble shooting it yet. Looks great with line x3 though!

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

I only tried NTSC sources, they seemed to work in 4x and 5x on the Edge. Same high input lag bug as with other resolutions though.

hyne
    Participant

I tested my equipment with Line 4X and 5x and this is what I got:

DVDO Edge + Sega MD II PAL: 4X No, 5X Yes
    DVDO Edge + SNES PAL: 4X No, 5X Yes
    DVDO Edge + N64 NTSC: 4X Yes, 5X Yes

DVDO iScan Duo + Sega MD II PAL: 4X No, 5X No (it shows a strange distorted image)
    DVDO iScan Duo + SNES PAL: 4X No, 5X No (it shows a strange distorted image)
    DVDO iScan Duo + N64 NTSC: 4X Yes, 5X No (it shows a strange distorted image)

Which settings would you recommend me to tinker with, to make the 5X setting work with the iScan Duo? I’d much prefer to use the Duo and get rid of the Edge down the line.

Naiera
    Participant

I know this is mostly OOP, but has anyone tried the OSSC with a Lumagen scaler? I have a Lumagen RadianceXD, a scaler that is superior to anything ABT has made ;), and I hope this would be a good combo that’s simpler to use than the XRGB-mini I’ve just sold.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

The ABT scalers are desirable here because of low lag, I believe the Lumagens have at least 2 frames of lag. PQ should be really good though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.