Menu

OSSC GREEN LED – BLACK SCREEN

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC GREEN LED – BLACK SCREEN

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  arauer 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

arauer
    Participant

Hi there,

I happily got my OSSC but sadly I can’t seem to get it to work, so I would appreciate if anyone can give me advice.

I’ve tried both an SNES and an N64 through the AV1 SCART port. This is what I’m using.

I turn on the OSSC and I get this output.

As I cycle the output sources to AV1, I’m etting the OSSC to show the green LED and SYNC.

But the screen shows only black.

I tested this on both a PC monitor and a TV with the same result. Also tried using both a DVI cable and an HDMI cable through a DVI>HDMI adapter with the same result.

I’m on firmware 0.73.

Thanks in advance for any tips guys.

AetherSmyth
    Participant

You’re using that adapter to connect a composite or S-video signal to the OSSC, is that right? I’m pretty sure that’s just a passive adapter, so it’s probably just passing those to the composite, chroma, and luma pins on the SCART connector. Remember, SCART can carry a bunch of different video formats, but the video digitizer IC Marqs used for the OSSC is only compatible with RGB and YPbPr, not composite or Y/C.

Unfortunately, a passive adapter won’t work: you’d need an active adapter (e.g., http://www.ebay.com/itm/Composite-Video-to-RGsB-RGB-Component-Video-Converter-/120332220654?rmvSB=true) to convert those into something the OSSC can use, and even then you’re stuck with the lousy quality of composite. It looks like there are some sort of inexpensive passive cables on eBay that are supposed to convert Y/C S-Video to YPbPr component (which, in theory, the OSSC could use on AV2), but I haven’t the faintest idea how that’s supposed to work without an active transcoder.

Honestly, what you really want to do is just set things up to pull RGB directly from the consoles. The SNES, at least, should be good to go for that already.

Harrumph
    Participant

No offense to the OP here, but posts like this are increasing now and tbh people should do some research before buying 150 GBP equipment…
    Dunno if Bucko should stick some warning before people get to hit the purchase button… Rant over, sorry.

arauer
    Participant

@aethersmyth

Thanks man that’s what I was looking for 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.