Menu

OSSC help Sega Dreamcast

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC help Sega Dreamcast

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  BuckoA51 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

galvatron2k1
    Participant

I just received my OSSC yesterday and I’m trying to hook it up to an LG OLED tv to test it out. I have a generic vga box that worked fine with my tv but now when I plug it into the OSSC with VGA cable and then output from HDMI to the tv, I just get the test pattern screen.

I made sure the input was set to AV3 RGBHV and I pushed info to see if I could find some more information. It appears it is outputting at a weird 1532×240 resolution and the Sync is off. The video LPF is set to Auto. I’m unsure if there’s something I’m doing wrong or if the vga box is just incompatible and I need to upgrade.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Dreamcast VGA boxes are much of a muchness. Can you tell us which Dreamcast you are using (PAL/NTSC) and the numbers it shows on the OSSCs LCD?

galvatron2k1
    Participant

Thanks for the response. It’s NTSC. I won’t be home until much later this evening so I cannot post the numbers just yet. I will take a picture. What menu did you want me to take the picture of?

Actually I managed to grab some pictures really quick.

THE TV

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

what’s on the standard read out, rather than the one you get when you hit info? Just “no sync” ?

galvatron2k1
    Participant

Yes. It just says AV3: RGBHV no sync.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

I guess try another VGA box then, but this is the first time I’ve heard of one being incompatible.

galvatron2k1
    Participant

Is there any that you recommend for better compatibility? I think I have one similar to the one by Retrobit (the picture looks the same as the one on Amazon).

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

again I’m pretty stumped, VGA boxes for Dreamcast are basically just cables that short a few pins, so I’ve no idea why it’s not working for you. Did you try RGBS mode as well as RGBHV?

galvatron2k1
    Participant

Yes i cycled through all the modes just to see what would happen. At first I thought I just had it on the wrong input.

I can try it again. It’s the same vga box that’s pictured on amazon and labeled retrobit (it’s not a Retrobit but it looks exactly like the one that is pictured including the same label – DC VGA Box).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000SL4IIG/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1511292050&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dreamcast+vga+box&dpPl=1&dpID=51TV0jT7%2B4L&ref=plSrch

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

That’s the one I own and it works perfectly… :\

paulb_nl
    Participant

Have you tried another device that outputs VGA to verify that the OSSC VGA input is working?

Teddy Rogers
    Participant

Maybe check your VGA cable too, do you have another to test?

Ted.

galvatron2k1
    Participant

I appreciate all the suggestions. Here’s what I’ve tried:

1. Changed VGA cable, no change, everything reads the same.
    2. Hooked up Xbox 360 via VGA cable and that works. It came up and read properly.

I have a new VGA Dreamcast cable on the way and will test it once I have it in my hand.

galvatron2k1
    Participant

Great news. I finally got a Dreamcast VGA cable and hooked it up to the OSSC and it booted right up to the picture. Then I moved everything around, hooked it up again and had the same issue. So I unhooked everything and re-connected it and it has been working fine since. So, I’m assuming it was the VGA box? Unsure but everything looks great now.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Perhaps the AV port on your Dreamcast has some damage? I managed to damage mine keep swapping between VGA and SCART back in the day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.