Menu

OSSC Integration Into Video Setup

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC Integration Into Video Setup

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jdurg 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jdurg
    Participant

Hey guys. My OSSC will be in my hands today, and while getting all cables routed, etc., I realized I had a few questions about the OSSC that I haven’t been able to find answers for. Was hoping that I could get some help here.

1: Does the OSSC emit any type of signal if on, but not receiving any inputs? I have all my consoles going through an automatic HDMI Switch that switches over to whatever device is providing it input. I don’t want to have my OSSC hooked up to this switcher if it constantly is emitting a signal since that would make my HDMI Switch automatically move over to the turned off SNES.

2: Are there any issues with leaving the OSSC on constantly if it’s not being fed a signal? If the OSSC doesn’t emit a signal unless being fed one, and it has no issues with being left on 24/7, then this would be optimal. I’d be able to keep the OSSC on constantly, but it would only send out a signal over the HDMI cable if I turn on my SNES. (Only console that is using this). If the OSSC shouldn’t be left on constantly, then that brings me to my next question.

3: Would it be okay to tap into the SCART +5V line at the connector in order to power a load-switch circuit that would allow power to go into the OSSC? Basically, I’d be connecting the +5V from my NTSC SNES to a load switching circuit I designed for my current setup. The circuit makes it so that DC power coming from the AC Adapter only gets to my scaler/SLG if my SNES is turned on. With the SNES off, the scaler/SLG gets no power and therefore doesn’t trigger my HDMI Switch. I could do that with my OSSC if needed, especially if I also have to use a cheap SCART-to-HDMI adapter’s HDMI pass-through in order for the OSSC signal to work.

Still, I’ll be able to make use of the OSSC no matter what. It’s just a matter of what I’ll need to do when I want to turn on my SNES. 😀

megari
    Participant

1. When the OSSC is turned on, it first shows a grayscale test pattern on the HDMI input as long as it is not synced to a signal on the current input. However, once it has synced to a signal once (SNES turned on) and that signal goes away (SNES turned off after playing), it seems that the HDMI output outputs no signal.

2. I actually asked the designer this question a few days ago, and he said that it should be safe to leave the OSSC turned on. Just mind that it consumes about 3 W even when idling.

3. This goes beyond my expertise, but you should remember that the OSSC requires a power supply that can supply at least 1 A of current at 5 V. You should supply the power from a source that is designed for this.

For a lot of information about the OSSC, please see here.

nmalinoski
    Participant

Regarding #3, I think you just need to be aware that Pin 8 can supply anywhere between 0V and 12V, so your switching circuit needs to be able to handle that; and know that it’s going to be a hassle if you want to use an input other than AV1.

Jdurg
    Participant

Thanks guys. My switching load circuit can handle the power requirements just fine. I currently use it so when I turn on my SNES, the +5V from the SNES will signal the circuit on and allow the DC power from the AC Adapter to flow into my current setup. I designed the circuit to handle the power requirements for this just fine. (Was designed with this in mind in case I upgraded, which I just did. Heh).

From the answers provided here, it seems like this will also work just fine with the OSSC. 🙂

(The circuit is a dual source circuit so I can have one chip handle two separate DC inputs using only one signal line. I have two input jacks placed in a plastic “box” that is really just the shell of an old AC Wall Wart. One for each power line. I then have two outputs on the other side which are AC Adapter plugs (center positive). So I plug in the AC Adapter into one input line, the +5V signal from the SNES into the signal input line, and then connect the associated output connector into the OSSC. Turn on SNES, OSSC comes on and my HDMI Switcher automatically changes. Now if only my SNES NTSC SCART Cable would get here soon. Heh).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.