Menu

OSSC Issues on SNES

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC Issues on SNES

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Harrumph 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Braca862
    Participant

Of all the consoles I have, connected to the OSSC, the SNES is the most problematic. One, it can only display at 5x, and two, there are instances when the tv loses the image for a second, sometimes twice. This is a nuisance because the image may black out and when it comes back, I fall into a pit, touch an enemy, or crash into something, requiring me to pause the game when the screen turns black. Is there any temporary fix to this until a firmware update addresses this? Why is it that SNES is the only console to have issues with the OSSC?

nmalinoski
    Participant

I don’t think that it’s necessarily the OSSC at fault. Usually the problem is that older consoles tend to output non-standard video signals that CRTs simply don’t have a problem with, but contemporary digital displays do; and the OSSC isn’t designed, and therefore lacks the necessary hardware, to normalize these signals in the way that a Framemeister does.

One of the problems I’m aware of with the SNES, and the NES as well, is that there’s some jitter in the sync signal. Someone more knowledgeable can correct me, but I believe the gist is that every other frame gets cut a hair short, which leads to an inconsistent sync. Digital displays expect a consistent sync cadence, so, when they don’t get that, they’ll drop sync, or simply not display the image.

There is a dejitter mod in the works (at the link above), which might help your compatibility issue with your SNES and TV.

paulb_nl
    Participant

Does the OSSC lose sync when the TV loses the image for a second? What kind of SNES and cable are you using? Besides the jitter issue the 1-CHIPs have an issue with composite video sync and luma sync cables where the OSSC will lose sync on some games on default settings.

Braca862
    Participant

The SCART cable for the SNES is CSYNC.

Harrumph
    Participant

If the OSSC doesn’t lose sync, it’s a display issue. If OSSC loses sync, it’s a cabling and/or settings issue.

Increasing V sync threshold might help, see this thread https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/black-screen-in-yoshis-island-snes/
    IIRC, problems can also occur when using a cable wired for composite-video sync with sync-stripper to get ”fake” c-sync (should be thread somewhere around here), there are examples of people who believed they had c-sync cable actually had this type instead (probably not very likely if you have an NTSC console though).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.