Menu

ossc or XRGB-mini Framemeister for ps2 and wii

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support ossc or XRGB-mini Framemeister for ps2 and wii

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Harrumph 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

rock145
    Participant

Hi, I pre-order the ossc 1.6 but I want to know how does ps2 games and wii games look with this. Will it take away the jagged edge on 3d games? Will it refine the picture?. Is the ossc better than XRGB-mini Framemeister for 3d games not 2d games. I am not that interested in 2d games because I have sony crt tv. I am only interested in 3d games. Is a ossc+Dvdo iscan vp50 combo better for 3d games than XRGB-mini Framemeister? Please reply.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

For 480i content the Framemeister is better in all ways except for input lag where OSSC is the clear winner. For 480p content the OSSC only transcodes/converts into digital (well, unless you use the 480px2 mode but that’s very jaggy and doesn’t work on all TVs).

Putting the VP50 up against the Framemeister is a much harder question to answer. I’d go have a look at http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

If you’re after smoothing out jagged edges or “refining” the picture on 3D games you might need to look at emulation, there’s only so much you can do with upscaling.

rock145
    Participant

Thank for the reply. I tried emulation but I did not like game slowdowns and glitches. The for wii it was much better but for ps2 not so. I am happy with Dolphin emulator for wii it makes the games look very good at 1080p with good frame rates. Now I am looking something for the ps2. I read the link you suggested it had a lot of useful information but the only decent upscalers there were very expensive and not available for purchase. Will ps2 480i games look good with my crt sony tv and OSSC with scanlines enable? Will the scanlines hide games jagged edges? or is it better Framemeister with lcd tv?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

It really depends what you mean by “look good”. The Framemeister is king of 480i processing in videogames pretty much, OSSC isn’t really a deinterlacer since it doesn’t have a frame buffer.

Incidentally I found PS2 emulation to be every bit as good as Gamecube, better perhaps.

rock145
    Participant

What I mean by looking good is hiding game artifacts and jagged edges. I look around in youtube for Framemeister+ps2 3d games scanlines enable and it did hide some games artifacts and jagged edges look less noticeable. I guessing that OSSC will be similar with Scanlines enable. I look around OSSC in google and I did not find pictures or videos of OSSC with 3d games. It would surely help people who want to buy it. I found this video that shows how Framemeister+wii looks with scanlines skip to 3:53 minutes in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4jix0d_VDU . I would hope that ps2 looks similar with OSSC+scanlines?

In regarding to ps2 emulation for it to be full speed playable it needs a much more powerful PC cpu than in dolphin emulation. That’s why I have slowdowns with it and it is much smoother with dolphin.

Harrumph
    Participant

If you have a sony crt, I think you should play your PS2 on that tbh. Chances are that is what actually looks best.

In my opinion, on flatscreen using OSSC, 480i passthrough looks better (lets the TV deinterlace). However, a few TVs apparently don’t accept 480i over HDMI. Linedoubling 480i has too much flicker imo, even with scanlines.

That said, as far as I’ve read and like Bucko stated above also, Framemeister deinterlacing is really top notch (I don’t own one myself).
    But if you are not interested in 240p gaming, and you own a crt, then just stick with crt and save your money.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.