Menu

OSSC Question regarding Composite Video

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC Question regarding Composite Video

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Morpheus_79 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

fleeisme
    Participant

I’m sure this has been asked a few times, but I can’t seem to find a definitive answer.

If I have the latest OSSC (1.6), can I use a composite to SCART adapter to run composite S-video through to the OSSC or not?

Something like this for reference: https://www.amazon.com/Coomoors-Switched-Recorder-Television-Projector/dp/B00S69TW0G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508717518&sr=8-3

If so, the OSSC is 100% what I’m looking for, if not, is there any way to run forms of composite video to the OSSC? Transcoders or combinations of devices? Say the adapter I linked to above to a SCART to component transcoder then going into the OSSC’s component input? Thanks in advance.

Morpheus_79
    Participant

First of all: Component VideoComposite VideoS-Video. The OSSC supports RGB and Component Video input… but it does not support Composite nor S-Video. It may be possible to convert Composite or S-Video to RGB or Component… but it’s more a question of: does it make sense?

fleeisme
    Participant

Not all consoles have native RGB output, and it would be nice to be able to use the OSSC with those consoles without RGB support, along with not having to mod everything up to RGB and buy RGB cables for every single console.

Also, I completely understand what the video signals and differences are, component separates analog video into Luma and sync, and then the difference between blue and luma and red and luma, and S-Video is still composite video, it merely separates Luma and Chroma. I was just wondering if there was a cheap and effective work around to get forms of composite video into the OSSC for convenience and cost savings.

Especially considering the SCART connectors contain pins for composite and S-video already, if the OSSC cannot use these signals at all, that’s why I was wondering if anyone had any luck converting them in some way, that’s all.

Morpheus_79
    Participant

There are some older threads regarding this topic:

Should I try to run s-video through OSSC?
    How to input av cable and S-Video

As i said: it may be possible… but don’t expect good picture quality. Not just because of the worse quality (compared to RGB/Component) to start with, but because most of those converters degrade the quality even more.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.