Menu

OSSC sync issues combined with Extron crosspoint Ultra 168

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC sync issues combined with Extron crosspoint Ultra 168

This topic contains 59 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  vasilas432 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author

vasilas432
    Participant

It is happening with my supergun in some pcbs but not all. All Capcom pcbs (pre-CPS, CPS1, CPS2 but no CPS3)and occasionaly on Irem M92. If OSSC is connected to the Extron loses sync if I raise output resolution above 480p. In some occasions it does loose sync even at 480p which make game unplayable. At first I thought it was Extron responsible because connecting my supergun directly to OSSC there are no sync issus and the monitor can achive 1600×1200 resolution with every 240p game! I removed Extron from the network but connected the bnc to scart cable in the line out of a PVM monitor. That line out was going to OSSC. I have the same issue which means Extron isn’t causing any issues. I have 2 high quality BNC to scart cables to connect after the Extron and feed OSSC scart input.

Now I am forced to exclude Extron from the network
    What is causing this incompatibility?
    The funny thing is I learnt about Extron switches from Videogameperfection and I bought this one!

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  vasilas432.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Are there any DIP switches at the back of your Extron switch?

vasilas432
    Participant

Yes there are switches that toggle 75 ohms or 510 ohms for sync input. Whichever I choose nothing happens.
    Today I received a jamma edge equipped with scart output and RGB pots. It still plays fine 5x directly to OSSC but if Extron is between them it syncs at 5x for 1 second every 10 seconds. In 2x is working but still not sure if it has black screens. I need some play time for this.

PC Engine is working through Extron at 5x. Tomorrow I will try every console
    Until now incompatible are pre-CPS Ghosts n Goblins, all CPS1 and CPS2. I had some blackouts with Irem M92 at 5x but I also need playtime to be sure. Taito F3 can’t play at all. If there is a preset for this I would like to have it.

Thanks Bucko

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

So your switch doesn’t have ADSP/DDSP like some Extrons do?

vasilas432
    Participant

It says it has ADSP in the front. What is this?
    Thanks

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  vasilas432.

cr4zymanz0r
    Participant

I believe it means it processes to bring it within TTL spec or something if I recall correctly. I have a Extron Crosspoint 1616 HVA and it works fine with my CPS1 and CPS2 boards, though I did put a 470 ohm resistor in line on sync coming out from the Extron going to the OSSC. It worked without it, but the resistor brings it down to 75 ohm termination spec voltage (I might have some of the terminology wrong. I’m basically repeating what I’ve read elsewhere). I didn’t know if it’d be stressing the OSSC if I used it long term without the resistor due to the Crosspoint outputting TTL level sync, which I don’t think the SCART connection on the OSSC is expecting.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  cr4zymanz0r.

vasilas432
    Participant

What is happening is very strange. My cable from Extron to OSSC had a 470 resistor which I removed when experimenting. Extron should have done the job anyway. Nevertheless I will put back the resistor and put a new 470 resistor to my new scart sync line, because I don’t want to stress the OSSC.

If I put a cheap Chinese switch (3€ value) in OSSC input and then have there connected the supergun there are no issues either. Issue remains to the outputs of Extron and BVM. Tomorrow I will check everything again and will change the input female scart to bnc that leads to Extron.

I hope I will find out what it is.
    My main focus is to scart input and to Extron.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  vasilas432.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Please let us know how you get on, the whole TTL vs 75ohm thing wasn’t well known about in the retrogaming communities until recently.

vasilas432
    Participant

Today I replaced the input to Extron, female scart cable to bnc just in case. It wasn’t it.All my cables are from Retrogaming cables and Wyo.
    Problem narrows down to my supergun Sigma Raijin or Extron.
    Maybe inside the supergun there is a bridge between RGB lines and ground. Maybe Extron doesn’t like that. I will take me apart the supergun and examine.

vasilas432
    Participant

Bad news. Super famicom won’t sync with OSSC at all. At 2x with severe disconnect issues. My cable should be sync on Luma because it barely plays through Extron sync stripped.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Won’t sync when connected directly? Are you sure that’s not your display?

vasilas432
    Participant

Good morning Bucko! After super famicom being unplayable I had to make a final test. That was my monitor. I moved some equipment including Extron to 2 different Samsung TVs and a Sony. Everything played there fine including super Famicom and CPS1. Samsung could handle up to 3x (720p) while Sony only 480p. All were connected to Extron too!

Then I had the idea to feed my Dell monitor with DVI-D. That was it! A miracle I was looking for!
    Everything plays at 5x and connected to Extron.

So it was my Monitor DVI or OSSC works better via DVI.

Thanks for your help Bucko. I now need to connect everything analog to Extron Ultra 168 and everything digital (including OSSC output) to my new Extron SMX HDMI, VGA and audio!

P.S. Did you know Extron Crosspoint Ultra series are better to everything signal related than normal series! Way better signal to noise ratio and less distortion. Ultra are also made from highest the quality components available at the time 😉

vasilas432
    Participant

Finally after some testing and no just demo mode for arcade CPS1, I had random sync disconnects even at 2x. Actually it doesn’t matter if it is 2x or 5x. Those disconnects happen only when Extron is involved and never when the supergun is directly connected to OSSC. I have come to conclusion that my monitor dislikes Extron’s signal. There is a small possibility to have improved signal after I connect the Extron SMX.

Sometime in close future I intend to buy a 4K TV probably Samsung. Is there any recommendation? Can a good 4k Samsung display 5x?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Really struggling to understand this, when your sync disconnects is the OSSCs light blinking or is it just the TV?

I’m actually wondering if this is powerline related, in some houses things like fridges or AC turning on can actually cause a random sync disconnection.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  BuckoA51.

vasilas432
    Participant

It’s just the monitor blinking and not the OSSC.
    If it’s power related why is happening when on Extron?
    All TVs I tried were in different rooms with different power outlets. It didn’t happened even once there. Of course I didn’t try to move my monitor and equipmen5 to other room.
    AC was of all the time

It happens when playing CPS Ghouls n Ghosts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.