Menu

OSSC With AV Receiver Onkyo

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC With AV Receiver Onkyo

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  BuckoA51 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

the_lilleorg
    Participant

Hey ,
    I was one of the Lucky few to get one of these .

I finally got a DVI-HDMI cable and began the test (I don’t have a remote )
    I want to run this thru my receiver ONKYO-NR-515 it has 7 HDMI inputs and one out but when ever I use it I get a blue screen . some how it doesnt detect the signal.

If I use it directly with my TV It works but it uses my only working HDMI port

I have tried a regular HDMI switch but that made the video and audio streams cut out sporadically (making any TV related fun completely suck)

And No I do not wish to buy a new TV because the audio in TV keep getting shittier.

Is there a setting that tweaks the DVI output or can some one point me in the right direction?
    I know that the receiver won’t accept any outputs lower that 480i (no 240P games or systems

The most retro system that works with it is an Xbox

Thanks

the_lilleorg
    Participant

Just to update you all:

Without selecting AV1-3 I can see the test pattern.

Running the “display” command I see that the test pattern is HDMI IN RGB 24Bit 720×480.

The Input source on the Xbox is set to AV2 (Component cables )

the ossc shows 525i , 15. 73Khz 59.94hz

I assume i need 480P / I out not the 525 PAL ?

markiemarcus
    Participant

I have almost exactly the same problem with my Yamaha RX379. I’m able to only get an intermittent image from the Dreamcast in VGA mode. 480i content is so far a non starter and subsequently so is 240p. What confuses me though is that I thought 480i content was line doubled to a progressive output, so why would the Dreamcast work with a 480p output but not the line doubled output of 480i content from a PS2? I wonder if a line x2 mode for 480/576i content would solve the problem. My TV does seem to accept the 480px2 mode when connected directly.

Linex3 mode for 240p content might work for you; definitely worth a shot if you haven’t tried so already.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

480i content is line-doubled to 480p unless you have interlace pass-through turned on.

Do either of those receivers include any picture processing features?

the_lilleorg
    Participant

The TX-NR515 does support up scaling to even 4K.

from my understanding the OSSC isnt a frame buffer so there could be a few less or more lines that could be affecting the picture.

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/av_components/av_receivers/tx-nr515/index.html

the_lilleorg
    Participant

Now that I have a programmed remote I can finally See all the settings. but for the life of me I cant getthe Yprbr input (xbox ) to display. if I set the output to 575i passthru I get a resolution error on the AV receiver and the TV shows “not available ” instead of no signal.

the other picture modes “3x or 2x ” don’t seem to change that number.

I also think that the Tripling / doubling is not takng affect on the test pattern screen.

Is there any way to not have it out as 525i

the_lilleorg
    Participant

Now that I have a programmed remote I can finally See all the settings. but for the life of me I cant getthe Yprbr input (xbox ) to display. if I set the output to 575i passthru I get a resolution error on the AV receiver and the TV shows “not available ” instead of no signal.

the other picture modes “3x or 2x ” don’t seem to change that number.

I also think that the Tripling / doubling is not takng affect on the test pattern screen.

UPDATE:

Using my TV (Olevia 747i ) it was telling me the displayed resolution when line doubler was on was 1360×1024 . its a weird resolution that wouldn’ t allow the receiver to work (blue screen signal)

not sure how to enable the tripler, switching it to on didnt do anything .
    currently i have it running as 480P with scanlines ^% and then running to the onkyo with output set to 1080p . looks very stunning for the xbox . the rest of the settings are defaults. (Xbox confirmed works )

I’m still learning about this device but I found that resolution odd

UPDATE:

It looks like Games work but the main menu does not:

When Game is inserted: 31.46Khz , 525P 59.94Hz
    When menu/startup : 15.73Khz , 525i , 59.94Hz

Whats the cause for this Frequency change and how can we have the OSSC detect this?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Correct it does not.

not sure how to enable the tripler, switching it to on didnt do anything .

Linetriple is for 240p/288p sources only.

Whats the cause for this Frequency change and how can we have the OSSC detect this?

Your Xbox is changing from interlace to progressive.

I’d suggest bypassing or disabling your AV receivers scaler, usually there’s a disable/bypass setting.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  BuckoA51.

marqs
    Participant

Yes, I’d set receiver to passthrough mode if possible to avoid extra processing & lag. I don’t understand why menu (525i input) doesn’t work in your setup since output should be pretty much identical to when using 525p input source. If you want to use OSSC interlace passthrough, you may need to switch TX mode to HDMI since some devices do not accept interlaced signals in DVI mode.

the_lilleorg
    Participant

I have enabled passthru or “direct” as the output mode.

its having issues with the 15.73Khz signal (FW 0.73)

Using the 480i passthru in the menu causes a “resolution error”

Is there a way to bump this to 31.73 khz (or super impose this)

I have tried a Xbox 480P games (Burnout revenge) and a 480i games (Starwars/tetris) that worked fine in i /p

The PS2 as thru component is not working in the slightest (Ps2 Slim)

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  the_lilleorg.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Is there a way to bump this to 31.73 khz (or super impose this)

Deinterlace it you mean? Yes, by turning passthrough mode off.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.