Menu

PAL Video Recorder

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support PAL Video Recorder

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  andshrew 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

andshrew
    Participant

Bit of a long shot, but I’m trying to use my OSSC to connect an old handheld video recorder to a HDMI capture device to transfer the recordings to a computer.

I currently have it connected as follows:

Sharp VL-E30S -> Composite Video connector to a SCART adapter -> OSSC -> AGPtek capture device connected to a computer

When I set it to play a video the OSSC output screen shows:

AV1: RGBS 625i
    15.60kHz 49.49Hz

On the capture device there is no output at all, but the audio does come through OK.

I’ve been looking through the wiki to see if there are any settings I could try adjusting but I’m not really sure where to start. At the moment the output it set to passthru mode. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The capture device seems to be quite robust in terms of the range of signals it supports – it will happily output a PAL PS1 signal for instance which my TV has no interest in displaying – so hopefully it isn’t a limitation there.

Thanks

nmalinoski
    Participant

The quick answer is that the OSSC is not the correct tool for this job. I recommend picking up a cheap composite/s-video to HDMI converter on Amazon or eBay, as that will accomplish what you want. Just make sure it supports PAL.

The longer answer:

…Composite Video connector to a SCART adapter -> OSSC…

This is the problem–you’re feeding composite video into the OSSC, which was designed to only accept RGB and YPbPr. Those composite video to SCART adapters are simple, passive gender changers. Neither these adapters nor the OSSC have the capability to decode composite video (nor S-Video nor RF, for that matter) to something usable by the OSSC.

The reason the OSSC says it has sync, but you’re not getting any video, is because it can and is using the composite video as a sync signal. The SCART adapter is putting composite video on the sync line and nothing on the R, G, or B lines, so the OSSC gets a valid sync signal but ultimately has no video data to display.

If you really want to use the OSSC for this, you will need to track down an RGB decoder (So, something like the Kramer FC-4044 or DVDO iScan Plus; which are really expensive and hard to find now) and wire it between your video recorder and the OSSC.

andshrew
    Participant

Thanks for the detailed reply nmalinoski. Now you’ve explained it it makes sense that as there is no RGB from the recorder there would be no video data to display.

I’ve ordered a cheap composite to HDMI adapter which will hopefully do the job.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.