Menu

PC monitors good for OSSC?

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support PC monitors good for OSSC?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  NoAffinity 1 day, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ForkBomb
    Participant

I think there should be a thread on this, considering that PC monitors have less lag and are therefore better suited for gaming.

I have an ASUS VG248QE and an Acer XB241H.

The VG248QE has essentially no lag and works fine with line 2x, 3x, and 4x, as well as the SNES, but what kills it for me is that it doesn’t have a 1:1 option, and scanlines scaled are uneven, which is especially noticeable with 480i. 240p without scanlines is completely doable, but 480i without scanlines severely lowers the quality (scanlines alternate per field so they’re actually displayed correctly and not as juddering 240p).

The XB241H only works with line 2x, and stretches it without any aspect option. It works with the SNES.

TL;DR: Does anyone know of gaming/low-latency monitors with a 1:1 pixel mapping option and compatibility with line 4x and SNES?

Harrumph
    Participant

Two quite knowledgeble persons at shmupsforum are vouching for the Viewsonic VX3211-mh.

Thomago: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52158&p=1285517&hilit=Vx3211#p1285517
    Xyga: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52158&p=1286483&hilit=Vx3211#p1286483

Thomago also lists a great number of monitors he tested, but which he felt were not good enough.

In the thread preceding and following posts, there is a lot of discussion back and forth between these two regarding strengths and weaknesses of several monitors.

NoAffinity
    Participant

I have started doing serious runs on my 23″ HP monitor, for this very reason. I did the SNES 240p lag test this morning, comparing Westinghouse 40″ against the HP, and the HP is 2 frames quicker display. I don’t notice it most of the time on the WH and for casual stuff, but again, for serious runs, that 2 frames absolutely makes a difference.

Model: HP LV2311

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.