Menu

Retrotink 2x always black and white (tested 2 consoles: s-video and composite)

Home Forums RetroTink 2x Retrotink 2x always black and white (tested 2 consoles: s-video and composite)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  diegoleao 4 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

diegoleao
    Participant

I just received my Retrotink 2x, but I’m having a big problem: the image is always black and white, no matter what I try. Well… the startup stripped test pattern does appear bright and colorful, but as soon as I turn on my console, the image from this point on is always black and white.

I connected it first to a brazilian Mega Drive (through composite cable) and a 32” Samsung TV. No matter what output I choose, it always displays a black and white image (sometimes a little blueish when I cycle through the options).

Then I tried it on a 47” LG Scarlet TV, using an NTSC SNES with S-Video out, but no luck, also black and white (this TV even has S-Video in it, and it works fine when I plug my SNES directly – with color and all – but not with the Retrotink). For the SNES test I configured the Retrotink 2x with “Y/C” ON and no smoothing, but I also cycled through all options, and it never displays a colored image.

The only thing I didn’t try is to switch to another mini-HDMI cable, since I only have the one I received with the Retrotink itself. And as I said, in both cases I’m using USB power from the TVs, but I left the device ON for half an hour, and it haven’t reset itself, so I figure is not a power issue.

• This topic was modified 5 days, 21 hours ago by  diegoleao.

diegoleao
    Participant

I just tested it with my PS2 over Component cables, it works fine for displaying PS1 games (the main use I have for the Retrotink 2x). However I was hoping I could use it for my SNES and Mega drive, so I’ll be waiting for an answer on that.

James-F
    Participant

RetroTink2x does not support PAL-M (Brazil) format,, only PAL-B/G/D/K/I,, PAL60,, NTSC.
    Are the MegaDrive and Snes the official Brazilian consoles?

diegoleao
    Participant

My Mega Drive is Brazilian, but my SNES is not (Model SNS-001, UN283826052):
    http://www.gameblox.com/links/snes_retrotink2x_problem_2.jpg
    (disregard the felt-like pads I put on it :))

The Snes even has the gray 1-800 service sticker in English (in Brazil it is 0-800).

• This reply was modified 4 days, 23 hours ago by  diegoleao.
    • This reply was modified 4 days, 23 hours ago by  diegoleao.

James-F
    Participant

Do you have any other video equipment like DVD Player with Composite output that is not PAL-M to verify that the RT2x is working correctly?

diegoleao
    Participant

Not a DVD but I do have other consoles, I’ll try to find something “very NTSC” 🙂 But the SNES should have worked, it is American (unless someone swapped the insides before I bought it, which is unlikely).

Is it possible for the Retrotink, through firmware updates, to support Palm-M? I realize it is a dumb Brazilian-only format but hey, if it is easy enough… there are 210 million possible consumers for it.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 21 hours ago by  diegoleao.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.