Menu

S-Video Input

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Feature Requests S-Video Input

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  BuckoA51 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

MetalMilitia
    Participant

I would love to see an S-Video input for this device. I have to say that is one of the only things keeping me from purchasing this product. It would be much easier for people who don’t want to mod their N64s and GCs to accept RGB or YPbPr.

gruntbuggly
    Participant

Also the C64.

It’s easy to find cheap passive adapters to convert S-Video to SCART, but the OSSC would need to support it. Button 8 on the remote’s numeric keypad is unused, so that button could be used to select S-Video over SCART, if the hardware and firmware can support that mode.

MetalMilitia
    Participant

Yea I would take that if it was an option. I’d also love to see this handle audio from all ports as well. One less thing to worry about switching manually.

marqs
    Participant

Proper s-video/composite support would need additional ICs, so unfortunately it’s not possible with the current board.

gruntbuggly
    Participant

Would it be possible to accept composite and S-Video through the component inputs, or would that also require additional ICs?

gruntbuggly
    Participant

Is there any plan and timeframe to design a new version of OSSC that supports S-Video? The very last batch of XRGB-Mini Framemeisters will be made in February, and I’m wondering if I should get one before they’re gone forever or wait for OSSC v2?

marqs
    Participant

I’ve collected some ideas for a possible future version, but there’s no timeframe or such. I’d be a bit surprised if Micomsoft didn’t release a successor to Mini if they’re ramping down its production soon.

tekolehm
    Participant

+1 for composite/S-video for VIC-20 and C64.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

If this becomes available it will be via an external unit, no point adding to the cost of OSSC for a feature only some people will use. I’m looking into possibilities at the moment, but not promises yet.

Norpa76
    Participant

External unit would be much appreciated. I have Sony YR-1000 s-video transcoder and it’s no good with progressive signal. Every EVEN horizontal line has different hue because the Sony Y/C jungle IC (CXA1213S) mistakenly inverts the R-Y color components phase. It has no problems with interlaced signal. I have tested this with 240p test suite.

paulb_nl
    Participant

I don’t think creating an external unit instead of implementing it on the OSSC is a good idea.

With all the components needed for an external unit (video decoder, CPLD/FPGA, DAC, SCART or composite/S-video connectors, RGB out, PSU, etc) you are probably looking at least 80 euro for an external unit. Implementing it on the OSSC would probably cost less than 10 euro in parts.

It would also mean the conversion would go from analog->digital->analog->digital.

Norpa76
    Participant

How about alternate firmware that replaces YPbPr inputs with CBVS, Y’ and C’ inputs so we would get composite and s-video? I’m looking at THS7353 datasheet and if I’m not completely mistaken it could be done.

EDIT: nevermind, it’s the TVP7002 that does the actual video processing so I guess it’s not possible.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Norpa76.

nmalinoski
    Participant

I don’t think creating an external unit instead of implementing it on the OSSC is a good idea.

With all the components needed for an external unit (video decoder, CPLD/FPGA, DAC, SCART or composite/S-video connectors, RGB out, PSU, etc) you are probably looking at least 80 euro for an external unit. Implementing it on the OSSC would probably cost less than 10 euro in parts.

Such an external device would have more utility to me, and potentially to those with older OSSCs. It would mean an affordable, available device that would let us use S-Video devices on modern TVs, which haven’t been available with S-Video inputs for, what, nearly a decade now?

That said, I would welcome a version of the OSSC with S-Video and Composite support built in.

It would also mean the conversion would go from analog->digital->analog->digital.

Are there no chips that do straight analog->analog transcoding? 🙁

gruntbuggly
    Participant

The Sony CXA1585Q chip converts Y/C to RGBS.

It needs external power and some supporting circuitry, and it has some tunable settings. I envision a small box with S-Video (in) and SCART (out) connectors, a micro-USB for power (and maybe a 2nd for daisy chaining power), and some small pots to adjust it specifically for the system you’re plugging into it (C64, GameCube, N64, etc.).

This would work well with SCART switches.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  gruntbuggly.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  gruntbuggly.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

A straight transcoder should be able to stay within analogue domain.

I have Sony YR-1000 s-video transcoder and it’s no good with progressive signal. Every EVEN horizontal line has different hue because the Sony Y/C jungle IC (CXA1213S) mistakenly inverts the R-Y color components phase.

I got okay results with the C64 and the YR-3000, never noticed anything like that but to be fair the C64s S-Video isn’t the greatest to start with even when using a lumafix.

I envision a small box with S-Video (in) and SCART (out) connectors

We may go for component out just because it’s easier to get the connectors. Anyway, no promises 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.