Menu

Scart RGB cable options for PS1?

Home Forums General gaming Scart RGB cable options for PS1?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nullifer 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

nullifer
    Participant

Hello,

I live in europe and I’m looking for suggestions on scart RGB cables for my American PS1 (scph-1001) I’ve been looking at retrogamingcables but i was wondering if there were any other good options?

(was hoping my PS2 component cable would work with my ps1 with the OSSC but people have been telling me it will not produce an image)

nmalinoski
    Participant

You’ve gotten a bunch of feedback in your thread on shmups, but the short of it is that, correct, your PS2 component cable will not work; and, since you intend to use the console with an OSSC, you can just get one of RGC’s sync-on-luma cables (or one with a light gun breakout, if you intend to use light guns in future). The OSSC can take composite video and luma as sync without issue, so the CSync cables with the inline sync separator circuits would be an added cost with zero benefit over the others.

As for specifically why your PS2 component cable won’t work, it’s because RGB from the PS1, as it is from most consoles, is RGBS, meaning Red, Green, Blue, and Sync (generally composite video) are each on their own wires(1), and YPbPr component cables only have three, because the sync signal is muxed into luma (Y), negating the need for a fourth wire. If you plugged your component cable into the PS1, the red, green, and blue wires would be transmitting the red, green, and blue color data respectively, but there’s no fourth wire for sync, so the OSSC (or any display) wouldn’t even recognize that there was any video data being transmitted.

If you had a third-party component cable that had an additional wire for composite video (like the first-party Xbox 360 component cables), then you could get RGBS from a PS1 with it, but then you’d also need a custom female RCA to SCART adapter, or a female RCA to DE-15 adapter plus an Extron RGB interface plus BNC to RCA (or BNC plus BNC to RCA adapters) to use it with the OSSC. Much easier to just get a SCART cable.

(1) Generally, when referring to different styles of RGB, each capital letter indicates a separate wire, and a lowercase ‘s’ indicates that sync is muxed onto the preceding wire; so, in addition to the RGBS example above, RGBHV has five wires, three for video, two for sync, and RGsB has three wires, three for video, with sync muxed into Green. (RGsB is also electrically the same as YPbPr, with sync on the same wire, so it’s difficult for devices to discern between them.)

nullifer
    Participant

Thanks alot for your resopnse Nmalinoski, it’s very informative and this is the kind of information I was looking for. Yes on shmumps I had some explanations about things, but nothing as informative as this, and also this thread here was to see if there were other distributors available just out of curiosity since this website is european technically. Shmups seems to have alot more north american people.

So you’re saying I wouldn’t need the Csync cable it would have absolutely 0 benifit? I thought that the Csync cables cleaned up noise in flat color areas compared to the luma cables?

OH one last question, you’re saying that the ps1 would send out rgb over the component cable without sync. On my PS1 that is arriving it is the scph-1001 the first ps1, that has the additional connectors for audio and composite video. Theoretically would the extra composite video output be able to be used as sync? (i really doubt i would try this, but I’d like to know out of curiosity)

This is the back of the ps1

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  nullifer.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  nullifer.

nmalinoski
    Participant

Yes on shmumps I had some explanations about things, but nothing as informative as this, and also this thread here was to see if there were other distributors available just out of curiosity since this website is european technically. Shmups seems to have alot more north american people.

Agreed, though shmups is still beneficial, because it’s a far larger audience, and there’s still a number of people there with experience with PAL gear.

So you’re saying I wouldn’t need the Csync cable it would have absolutely 0 benifit? I thought that the Csync cables cleaned up noise in flat color areas compared to the luma cables?

I’ve read that about CSync cables as well, but I haven’t seen anything (nor was I able to find anything from a quick Googling) to back up those claims. CSync cables built for consoles that don’t offer clean composite sync directly, like the PS1, have inline circuits that strip the video data from the composite video line, leaving just the composite sync signal, which is necessary for connecting those consoles to pro AV equipment, like Extron Crosspoint matrix switchers or Extron RGB interfaces, which require a clean composite sync signal and will reject/ignore sync-on-composite and sync-on-luma signals–that compatibility is the primary purpose of those cables. None of that applies to the OSSC, which is happy to take any sync signal you can throw at it–sync-on-composite, sync-on-luma, clean composite sync, and RGsB/sync-on-green.

On top of that, there are two main issues that arise from having inline sync strippers. First, you may run into sync failures if you use multiple sync strippers in the same chain, such as if you have a CSync cable plugged into a gscartsw, which itself has a sync stripper; you’d need to either disable the sync stripper on the switcher (which would be a pain if you need to then re-enable it for other consoles) or swap out the sync-stripping cable for a sync-on-composite or sync-on-luma version. And the second, far more minor issue is that sync strippers introduce a very tiny amount of delay to the sync signal, which causes the image to shift slightly (to the right?) compared to what it would be without the sync stripper. Note that neither of these problems affect any consoles that natively output a clean composite sync signal, like the NTSC SNES consoles.

OH one last question, you’re saying that the ps1 would send out rgb over the component cable without sync. On my PS1 that is arriving it is the scph-1001 the first ps1, that has the additional connectors for audio and composite video. Theoretically would the extra composite video output be able to be used as sync? (i really doubt i would try this, but I’d like to know out of curiosity)

If you made/commissioned a custom 6x female RCA/BNC-to-SCART adapter (4x for video, 2x for audio), yes, it would be possible to do that, and it would probably look fine; but it wouldn’t be electrically compliant with the PS1’s AV output. For all of the PS1, PS3, and PS3, the specification for RGB output (at least from NTSC models) calls for 220uF capacitors on the R, G, and B lines; on the PS1, these capacitors are located in the cable, and, with the PS2 and PS3, they were moved inside the console, so any SCART and component cables made for the PS2 and PS3 will lack those capacitors. Like I said, it would probably work and look fine, but I’m not sure if it would cause any video artifacting or long-term issues by not using the console without any capacitors on the R, G, or B lines.

nullifer
    Participant

Ok thanks again man, you’re always very helpful and I appreciate it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.