Menu

Should I try to run s-video through OSSC?

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Should I try to run s-video through OSSC?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  BuckoA51 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

ErickRPG
    Participant

On the main page it briefly says it needs an adapter/transcoder. Is there even a good one made that’s not complete garbage, and convert to what? I have tested my new OSSC with RGB and VGA and both work great. I do have 2 systems I would like to eventually try to run through OSSC that use s-video.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

The Sony ones are OK and the Extron ones are pretty highly rated if you can find one. I’ve been looking into the possibility of making one but my contact on that front hasn’t got back to me in a while.

ErickRPG
    Participant

Hey thanks, but what does it convert to? I mean is it s-video to component, s-video to RGB. That’s the question I have left because I don’t know exactly what to search for. I know OSSC takes RGB, VGA, Component and Composite.

BubbaMc
    Participant

S-Video to RGB is what you want.

BTW, OSSC doesn’t accept composite video.

ErickRPG
    Participant

Ok np, I was just guessing. I’m not gonna need composite and I doubt anyone who owns an OSSC is gonna use composite, lol.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Sadly there are some systems that only output composite and can’t easily be modded, but most S-Video to RGB transcoders also support composite too.

Note that with the Sony YR transcoders, PAL region ones do not properly support NTSC and vice versa.

ErickRPG
    Participant

How much do these run? I’m not sure I’m willing to make the investment. I am running s-video through a dvdo iscan on a 40″ tv and it looks pretty good. The OSSC was mainly for my RGB systems, dreamcast and xbox (VGA and component) to play on my 65″ TV upstairs. So really I have accomplished most of my hookup goals.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Yeah the iScan’s do support 240p properly but aren’t known for very good picture quality with it.. it has a LOT of ringing usually.

The Sony transcoders are affordable if they ever show up on eBay.

acidbottle
    Participant

Hello, my OSSC has recently been dispatched so looking forward to that, praying my tv doesn’t cause issue!

Anyways, I do have an S-video modded Atari XL that I would like to hook up to the OSSC using a scart switch. Im not overly fussed if it makes any visual difference, well aware the device doesn’t support. However, for convenience I would like it hooked up to the rest of the switcher.

Would the Keene RGB2C Syncblaster be of any use here, has anyone tried it? Not sure I heard right but would a DVD recorder do the job to, converted s-video to RGB. I have a passive scart adapter and this runs nicely on the tv but will the signal get through the OSSC without hiccup?

Any tips here appreciated 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  acidbottle.

Norpa76
    Participant

Here is example of Sony YR-1000 trancoder. Commodore 64 PAL, Linex4 mode, 50% scanlines, resolution 1440×1080. I’m quite happy about the quality.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Norpa76.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Looks pretty clean for C64, do you have the Lumafix installed?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.