Menu

Snes ghosting

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Snes ghosting

This topic contains 23 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  eric90000 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

noko_bombette
    Participant

I can see some ghosting on my TV while using SNES. For example, if Mario jumps and background is white, I can see a ghost Mario at right. The lives counter causes a shadow that goes all way down, etc.

Testing the same Snes with Framemeister causes no ghosting.

Snes: PAL one chip, with SuperCIC mod. Playing a PAL game in 50 Hz.
    OSSC: connected to Scart input, selected input 1. Default settings, 576p output.
    Cable: rgb luma sync from retrogamingcables.
    Framemeister: picture mode, tested in 1080p and 576p 50 hz. Euro Scart adapter with csync circuit.
    Tv : Sony kdl42w750b. Tested on the same hdmi input, all processing disabled.

paulb_nl
    Participant

It would probably help if you posted a picture. It could be the rgb cable thats causing it. Do you have issues with other consoles?

noko_bombette
    Participant

The problem with the pictures I’ve taken is that the effect is hard to notice, but I will post them later.

I used the same cable to test with the Framemeister. Previously I was using the old SNES PAL RGB cable that retrogamingcables provided that had not luma sync, and I had image noise also only with OSSC. I guess that the Framemeister is somewhat filtering all those image issues.

I have also a SNES RGB NTSC with csync cable from retrogamingcables that I may test in some days.

paulb_nl
    Participant

Its probably the sync stripper inside the Framemeisters scart adapter thats filtering the issues. Did you also see the shadowing with the rgb cable without luma sync?

marqs
    Participant

It’d help if you can try another console on the same input to isolate the issue to snes, cable or ossc. Framemeister probably has a bit stronger LPF than OSSC in sdtv mode, but you shouldn’t see noise/ghosting with a quality cable and well-conditioned console (e.g. no leaky caps).

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Actually ghosting is supposedly quite common on the 1-chip RGB modded consoles. I’ve been looking at ways to eliminate or minimise it with modding.

noko_bombette
    Participant

I’m not sure if you will be able to see the “shadow Mario” at right in the first image since it’s hard to notice in the picture I took. But while playing it is very distracting 🙂

OSSC:

View post on imgur.com

Framemeister:

View post on imgur.com

ghosting is supposedly quite common on the 1-chip RGB modded consoles

This one is not RGB modded since it’s a PAL one chip (not Mini, I can’t tell which board version right now).

I’m waiting to receive my SNES mini with the NTSC cable from the mail so then I will be able to check with that console and cable too. Next week I will also check the old RGB cable without luma sync.

borti4938
    Participant

Your problem is the 1Chip-SNES and not the OSSC! You will observe the same problem with your SNES Mini…

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1226995#p1226995

Just a guess.. it might be not noticeable at the Framemeister because the Framemeister saturates the input signal at standardized Upp levels… If this is the case the problem is not noticeable… just a guess…

noko_bombette
    Participant

Ok thank you, I’ve also tested that Snes with a BVM and I can see the ghosting.

So by the post you linked in shmups forums I guess the only way to fix any of my SNES (pal one chip or mini) for the OSSC or the BVM is a nearly impossible mod… Is anybody making that 1-resistor mod?

I will keep using the Framemeister since the ghosting is not noticeable with it.

And I thought that it could be easy to find a good SNES…

eric90000
    Participant

Hey, I’m also getting pretty bad ghosting on my SNES mini w/ Voultars RGB mod. Has there been any progress on solving this and getting rid of the ghosting?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Yes, this is supposed to be a problem of the past when the new mod is installed with the brightness fix.

noko_bombette
    Participant

What if we already have the RGB mod installed? In my case a custom board with SuperCIC and Borti RGB mods. Is it worth to apply for example only the ghosting fix? (providing I send the snes to you for example).

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

We could probably do that assuming the custom mod was installed to a good standard.

eric90000
    Participant

I don’t believe this is a brightness issue. It seems to be a problem with certain 1-CHIP SNES’. Voultars board fully attenuates the signals and outputs perfect RGB, so I know it’s not an issue with the RGB bypass. I’m noticing a lot of the same ghosting effects as others with 1-CHIP consoles, and apparently it’s largely dependent on your display as to whether or not it’s obvious.

Borti has a supposed fix for this by lifting pin 155 of the CPU and connecting a 20ohm resistor in series to vcc. The resistors on the RGB board would then need to be removed. This just seems a little bit extreme, and is quite risky given that the pins are tiny and access is limited.

I’m really surprised there aren’t more people with this issue…now that I’ve noticed it it’s really annoying me. Voultar has said he’s working on a potential alternative fix for the ghosting on 1-CHIP consoles. If I dig up any more information I’ll report back here.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

We use Borti’s fix in our workshop and we’ve had great results with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.