Menu

Sync issues with stock SNES/HDRetrovision cables

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Sync issues with stock SNES/HDRetrovision cables

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Paulson 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

astro187
    Participant

I’m having some sync issues with my brand new OSSC v1.6 0.78 using my launch day SNES with HDRetrovision cables.

Everything will start fine, then wavy artifacts start to appear (I have a pic but don’t see where I can post one here). After a few minutes the screen will flicker. The frecuency of sync losses will start to increase until it is lost totally. This is an unmodified launch SNES using an HDRetrvision component cable.

Other info: it happens similarly on 2 different TVs. My RGB modded SNES mini and RGB modded N64 seem to work fine with the same TV and cable. My GC and Wii also work fine with the OSSC using their OEM component cables.

The only peculiar thing I did was when I first got it and hooked up the SNES I connected the audio cables to the OSSC with a phono Y-adapter but didn’t get sound over HDMI. I ran for about 10 minutes like that before I relized I didn’t have the switch toggled correctly so the phono jack was in output mode. Doesn’t seem like that would fry anything though.

Are there any troubleshooting I can do or power user settings I can play with to try to mitigate this, perhaps?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  astro187.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Not entirely sure what’s going on there, have you opened the console and checked for bad caps?

astro187
    Participant

No yet. I haven’t opened the system in years but it was clean the last time I did. That said, caps could have failed. I don’t have any issues when I connect it to the TV directly with the official Nintendo S-video cable though.

Paulson
    Participant

I’ve been getting a similar issue with the previous OSSC revision (plus audio board) and HD Retrovision cables, even when feeding into a DVDO Edge. I might go and purchase an RGB SCART cable and try again, lest I have to downgrade to s video. Display is an Asus VA32h.

astro187
    Participant

Please report back if you do that. It would be nice to know if this fixes the issue or not.

Harrumph
    Participant

The sync drops on OSSC or only the TV?

astro187
    Participant

The sync drops on the OSSC (the LED indicator turns color).

Harrumph
    Participant

Interesting. Since it’s known that Ste & Nick have researched and developed their cables very thoroughly, I’d expect this to be a console edge case. However, I’m sure they’d like to know about this. Problem is you’d probably have to send them the console. Since it’s a launch SNES, I’m also thinking bad caps could be a thing. Or possibly PSU or DC converter (7805) problem even.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Harrumph.

Paulson
    Participant

In my OSSC DVDO setup, sometimes the ossc will lose sync, then sometimes it’s the DVDO Edge losing it, or both at the same time. I’m pretty baffled as I thought the edge could “normalize” the signal of the SNES. Don’t remember which model SNES I have but it’s definitely a two chip, I think from 1993

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.