Menu

Technical questions about OSSC

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Technical questions about OSSC

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  LocoMJ 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

LocoMJ
    Participant

Hi,

I’m a guy from Spain and I´m engineer in electronics. This year I’ve come back to the university to course a master about FPGAs. I have to make a work related with FPGA technologies and I’m thinking about some homebrew projects. Between all projects I’ve seen, I choose flashcarts from Krizz, nes2hdmi, GDEmu and OSSC.

So, I would like to make some questions to Marqs. Here they go:

– Why did you select an altera FPGA (EP4CE15E22) and why not another one from Xilinx for example? Are there any good reasons?
    – Where is saved the bitstream?
    – Do you use any soft core in OSSC?

I would like this post could be a post to ask technical questions about OSCC.

Thanks for such a great scaler 🙂
    Best regards

marqs
    Participant

– Why did you select an altera FPGA (EP4CE15E22) and why not another one from Xilinx for example? Are there any good reasons?
    There was a couple reasons behind I ended up with EP4CE15E22:
    * FPGA had to be relatively cheap and hand-solderable (no BGAs)
    * During early development I used DE2-115 development board which had higher-end Cyclone IV FPGA, so it was easy transition to EP4CE15E22
    * My short experience with Xilinx’s tools (ISE) wasn’t very positive, although I have to say they didn’t suck nearly as badly as many ASIC design tools. While Quartus is not perfect either, it has worked better for me
    * Xilinx’s FPGAs seemed to be more geared towards professional design instead of hobbyist prototyping (availability, pricing etc.). Take a look e.g. how many Xilinx FPGAs Mouser offers versus Altera

Where is saved the bitstream?
    It’s saved on a serial flash IC, which FPGA automatically reads at power-on

Do you use any soft core in OSSC?
    Yes, it uses basic (free) version of Nios 2. If I had more time on my hands, I’d rather put LM32 or RISC-V running on the FPGA

LocoMJ
    Participant

Thanks for the answers, marqs!

In the future, I’d like to help to improve the OSSC, or even make something related with old machines and FPGAs.

I also have the DE1 board but I’m still a newbie in this matters.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.